PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Vehicle Warranty Rights--check it out

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default New Vehicle Warranty Rights--check it out

I've been reading posts all over this forum (and others before) where the old: "Does doing X to my Hummer void my warranty?"pops up

X=wheels, jumbo tires, intakes, exhaust, pcm tunes, adjusting T bars, off roading, fuel used, lift kits, heavy towing and every darn everthing else.

The answer is NO, IT DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY VOID A WARRANTY. (in the U.S.) anyway, sorry my Canadian friends, do not profess to know Canada's laws.

READ THIS http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm.

Are ther specific situations when it may, yes, but limited. State laws may provide additional protection, they cannot limit the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act in any way.
So when the service bozo (term of art here folks, did not want to do latin legal on ya) says that will void yer warranty, he/she is full of pasture pies [sm=exactly.gif].

Are ya with me??? Most of the mods are fine. Intakes, Cat Backs, PCMtunes, T bar adjusts, wheels, throttle body spacers, ignition wires, mild lift kits, just do not go bonkers.
I think massive, really over the top tires could definitely cause you a problem if yo have axle or gear problems. Otherwise it is ok to have some fun personalizing your trucks. Any questions. We will have a quiz next week. Thank you. [8D]

Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Vehicle Warranty Rights--check it out

I thank you for creating this thread. This comes up all the time like you say. I want to put a CAI and duelly on the back, but have been paranoid because of all this what if, yes or no and why stuff.

I guess I can go ahead and start modding, although with the new "project" I think the H3 will be put on hold indefinitely. As long as it can tow the new child, I'll be happy.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Great thread indeed! Coming from a highly modified Mustang this topic comes up a lot! Not just to throw my 2 cents in...

Now the Magnuson Moss Act is good stuff... but... a lot of it's going to depended on the dealership... I can't comment on Hummer dealerships but I imagine it will be the same as the Ford dealerships... Some are very easy to deal with, while some of them will look for any excuse to deny your warranty claim. Yes, you can cite the Magnuson act but face it some service manages are simply butt-heads... I've heard of one service manager who tried to blame a front end clunk (know problem with front spring, even had a TSB!) on an after maket muffler! Kind of leaves you shaking your head! But then again my local Ford dealer was awesome! I had an electronic throttle position sensor replaced under warranty even though my N20 system was installed in plain sight and was in fact hooked up to the sensor!!! I still had the numbers from the drag strip (which does VOID your warranty!) on my windshield and my helmet in the back seat! LOL!

So yes, nothing voids your entire warranty... know your rights!

Another great resourse is located on the SEMA site: http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Yeah!!!!

AWESOME THREAD!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Hummer dealership is awesome.... they saw the large dent in my muffler and STILL replaced the broken bands for the shield.... The salesman even thanked me for "using your Hummer for what it was designed for"

I had some dealings with a Chevy dealership.... but I will refrain for now...

Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Variability between dealerships will occur. If you can't work it out in a reasonable fashion with the assigned tech rep, politely ask to see the service manager. The mod mfg will often be able to provide you with a letter, spec. info that can assist you in debating the problem. If that don't work, get an e mail address and post it here!!!!!![:@] We can let them know how we feel. Talk to the GM district/regional rep(s). There are competeing interests here, and Hummer pays the dealership to do warranty work!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM

This is one of the questions I come across. First,I am a car guy, that has alot to do with being willing to help withwarranty issues. I overlook alot of things that others call questionable because I have built off road trunks and jeeps and drag cars from the time I could drive. I think most service advisors are paper work people, scared of "getting caught". the reality is if you motify something and it breaks or it causes something else to break, the factory has no resposibility to repair something they did not build or something they can't control. For example, if you put 3" wheel spacers on to clear wide tires, The factory would not cover the wheel bearing coming apart. They did not design the bearing for this kind of loadIf you and a buddy install a light bar and hack into the factory harness and now you have electrical problems, It's questionable.

All in all, Be reasonable with you expectaions with modified vehicles, Know that there is a risk of warranty concerns. Find a dealership that is modification freindly, and find out you local laws.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM

A person I knew had a 1000hp 2006 mustang still under warranty even though half of the car was modified and when the transmission broke the ford dealer replaced it

Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM

You can probably get a feel for your local dealer if they're "mod friendly" or not even before you mod your ride. I know historically in my area certain Jeep dealers (sorry, I only know what I know so far!) are extremely mod friendly (one sponsors the local Jeep club), and others practically flip you off at the door. With Hummer, it's a little harder for some based on your location to have a dealer choice, so take that into account as well.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 PM

quote: have built off road trunks and jeeps and drag cars from the time I could drive. I think most service advisors are paper work people, scared of "getting caught"

i never seen an offroad trunk before .