PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires - Want something different though

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Default New tires - Want something different though

Well like everyone else when it comes time for tires I get the jitters. What do I want? What will I use them for 90% of the time BUT for that 10% of the time will the tires I pick work?
I also want something "different". Not to say anything bad about BFGs or others but they are the "me too" tire - oh you have BFG KM2 - Me too. Obviously that probably means they are great tires - again not brand knocking - just want something different.
My rig
H3 (duh) Standard 3.7
No other mods yet - yes Doc I really do plan on buying your system soon.
It's a DD. Actually it's a weekend driver - luckily I have a work car so I don't drive my rig "daily".
City/Hwy driving.
I live in Nebraska - for now
BUT
There are at least 2 trips a year to Colorado and/or Wyoming. On these trips there is some trail time. Thus the better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it theory.
I'm thinking about 5 tires in 285/75/16:
Hecules Terra Trac AT
Hecules Terra Trac AW
Dick Cepek FC II
Hankook RF10 AT
Hankook RT03 MT

Yes this is getting long and drawn out - sorry.
I need something that'll last. Road noise to a minimum (keep momma Yeti happy). But also something that will work well for the mountain trips. Lastly I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the "name" of a tire.

Opinions/advice/thoughts/suggestions/other options

Thanks

Old 04-19-2009, 12:02 PM

You exactly described what I will be needing also. I know that there have been a lot of threads on here, but the choices are endless. Hopefully, you will get some good postings on here.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah there've been threads after threads on tires - just trying to see if I can beat the number of threads posted about cranking up the torsion bars
Actually the tire threads are mainly a repeat of the same old tires it seems (not just here but on other sites too).
I'm hoping that someone will have experience with the tires I'm looking at or at least offer in put on tires other than the same old same old tires.
There's so many options out there that seem like decent tires. I really don't want to throw away $1000 or so and then find out the tires are worthless. Then that makes momma mad and I don't need bad tires to get myself in trouble - I got a list a mile long of other things that do that.
Either everyone is worn out from the weekend or I've just bored the hell out of people with my question(s).

Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM

My vote...... Dick Cepec FC11. Great road manners, Great in snow and tuff side walls. Did I mention they look good too. Only downfall a little pricey!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Hankook dynapro mtrt03

Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Ok a little feedback finally.
If you can could you guys provide some more details on your choices. Road noise, handling, type of terrain you drive etc.
I know I'm a pain in the butt - my wife tells and co-workers let me know this daily.
The Hankook MTs look great but I worry about the lack of siping and noise.
The FC IIs have been on the top of my list for a while - nobody really talks about them though - and yes they are pricey BUT if they're worth it then I don't have a problem.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM

my hankook mts are not loud at all i cant really even tell.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Did I mention I'd go with the Mickey Thompson MTZs in 305/70R16. ;-)

Whoops, that wasn't on your list. Sorry.
Name:  DSC02018.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  131.1 KB

Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 PM

Sure Doc just because I haven't invested in your system yet pick a tire that wasn't on my list.
How do you like the Mickey's? Obviously enough to run them.
How's the noise level? They look like a good mud and snow tire but how about rain traction?
Doc do you know anything about "warranty issues" with Mickey's and Dick Cepeks? On a different site there was a whole list of comments about MT and DC not covering the tires under warranty. I know a lot of the comments left on sites can be "skewed" to say the least.
Reference the Hankooks you say you don't hear them huh? Cool. I like the looks of those too. How much did they run? Balance issues?

Just too many choices. Like a kid in an expensive candy shop.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I've had them a tad over a month. Love em so far. They are factory siped to increase wet traction on road, and it works. They make more noise than the stock duelers, but not that much. I find it acceptable and less than I thought they would make.

I bought them from a local family run shop, and they said if I have any issues, bring it by and they will take care of me. They stock Mickey Thompson extensively and said they have had no warranty problems? As I understand it, you get into the sticky issues when you order them through a shop that is not a regular stock dealer.

They cost more, but I think they are worth it. No balancing issues, they took less than an ounce to static balance each tire.

Quick Reply: New tires - Want something different though