PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

new tires = low tire pressure warning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Default RE: new tires = low tire pressure warning?

What brand of tire do you have..I was referring to the Bridgestone duelers that came with mine..

No.. one pressure for all of them, do not vary 1 pound between them or this will set off the TPM again....That's how the sytem works..it compares diferences in tires pressures....This includes the SPARE.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM

The spare has a sensor in it but it is not read, only the four corners are read. I am almost positive that the four corners are not compared to each other but instead are monitored individually.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 PM

my '07 h3 is at the dealer. I have the bridgestone adventure 33's... they mentioned they'll check all 5 sensors and may replace sensors entirely OR put on stock tires. What does this mean and how is it different than ones I have on currently?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:45 PM

The way is see it,they are being compared..I'm too lazy right now to go look for it..But somewhere I read that to keep the each tire within 1.5 PSI of each other. so...that's my deduction on it it at least..You maybe right about the spare, but if you replace it with one of the road tires as during a rotation, you don't want to throw the odd ball pressurein the mix...

Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM

I think importkiller is correct on this one.

ORIGINAL: importkiller

The spare has a sensor in it but it is not read, only the four corners are read. I am almost positive that the four corners are not compared to each other but instead are monitored individually.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM

Damn it..you're gonna make me go look now ain't ya.....[:@]

Old 07-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Okay here is the whole ball of wax...Iwas sorta wrong about them being compared..but not completely..

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Information
[/align]Components
There is a separate sensor/transmitter in each wheel. The TPM system shares the receiver with the keyless entry system. Data from the receiver is displayed on the instrument panel, using the driver information center (DIC).
Sensors
The sensor, with built-in valve stem, is inserted from the inside of the wheel, through a hole in the rim. It is retained by a nut (4 N.m, 35 lb. in.) and is sealed by a grommet. A lithium battery with a design life of 10 years powers the sensor.[align=center] [/align]Each sensor is coded differently. This permits the receiver to determine exactly which tire is over or under-inflated.
Operation
The sensors operate only above 20 mph (32 kph) and transmit once per hour when parked, to preserve battery power.
If the pressure in a tire rises or falls outside the calibration limits, the condition is displayed by the DIC. The low limit is 24 psi (168 kPa) and the upper limit is 39 psi (272 kPa).
Service
The sensors are lightweight, only about an ounce (28 g), and this small weight is easily accounted for during normal tire balancing.
The sensors are mounted within the well of the rim. It’s important to be careful when using a tire-mounting machine. The sensor could be damaged in two ways: either by (1) direct contact with the machinery or (2) by the bead of the tire as it is forced over the rim.[align=center]
Use care when using tire machine.
Consult tire changer manufacturer’s support material for proper mounting procedures.[/align][align=center]

Sensor ruined by tire mounting equipment[/align]The valve stem cap is made of aluminum and the valve core is nickel-plated to resist corrosion. The end of the stem serves as the sensor’s antenna.[align=center][/align]TIP: Do not replace either the cap or the valve with standard parts. This will interfere with the sensor’s ability to transmit.
TIP: The TPM sensor is more precise than consumer-grade tire pressure gauges. It may be necessary to explain this if the customer routinely mis-inflates tires using a gas station gauge.
Receiver Programming
The receiver is programmed at the factory to recognize which sensor is at each wheel location. If tires are rotated or a sensor is replaced, the receiver must be reprogrammed, following SI procedures.
If the receiver is not reprogrammed, the system will continue to report the correct pressures, but will assign them to the wrong locations on the vehicle.
TIP: There are two reprogramming methods. You must use the J-41760 magnet when a new sensor is installed. During tire rotation, you can use either the magnet or your Tech 2.[align=center]

J-41760 Magnet[/align]Magnet Method
You will have only one minute between horn chirps, and five minutes overall, to complete the procedure once you start.
With ignition on, engine not running, press both lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. A horn chirp within 10 seconds indicates that the receiver is in programming mode.
At each wheel, hold the J-41760 magnet over the valve stem until the horn chirps, to force the sensor to transmit its code. You must follow this order: LF, RF, RR and LR. The horn chirps twice to indicate completion.
Scroll through the DIC readout to verify all four pressures are displayed.
Tech 2 Method
With the TPM Reprogramming procedure on your Tech 2, you can command each sensor to its new l

Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM

I dont get why we have to reprogram at each tire rotation. The system doesnt tell us which tire is under/over inflated, it just tells us one of the tires is improperly inflated, so why does the receiver need to know where each sensor is, all the tires have the same recomended pressure.

I have had several rotationsso I guessHummer isdoing the reprogramming for me.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM

because each sensor can only be read by the reciever it is transmitting to. if transmitter one is on right front and sensor one is on right rear then it won't read each other.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

O.K. I'M GONNA BELLY UP TO THE BAR AND MAKE MYSELF LOOK STUPIDER!

It use to beair pressure sensors were associated with run flat tires but I see they are being offered on other cars set ups. Anyway I looked at the Hummer websight and my manual to see if this was standard. Then I checked the Adventure Package but I see no mention of this. Please bring me up to speed. I kinda hope I don't have them.

Quick Reply: new tires = low tire pressure warning?