PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Default New problem

Got a new problem for ya all. My battery died and after getting a jump my check engine light is on. Is there anyway to reset it or will I have to take it to the dealer? First time this has ever happened. Will it reset itself when battery gets back up to a good charge level? Any help appreciated thx.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Just got home and read the manual seems it might go off in a few days as it is a steady light and not flashing and there are no other warnings. Ill let ya know what happens.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 PM

never had that happen when boosting my battery. You can always go to an auto parts store and get a cheap scan tool for about $40 and see what code came up, and you could clear it also making the light go away.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM

I hear about battery trouble and wonder just how yours got dead?

I assume you took the key out. all other stuff shuts off in a short time. I have often left inside lights on and never hav a problem.

fwiw, after a jump start,a short drive usually gets the batt up enuf to start and go from then on..

do you have stuff connected directly without auto turnoff circuits?

its hard to kill these things!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Battery died due to my own forgetfulness. It was cloudy outside and since I still have my dlr problem (see other post) I turned on the headlights manually then I went to pick up my son from school and since I also have a 1 year old I turn on the radio and jump in back with him to wait for the one in school and this particular time I forgot to turn off the headlights when I parked. Luckily I was able to get a jump but the check engine light stayed on. Drove around a bit so should be ok but in all the cars I have had I have never had the light stay on from a jump. Might get a scan tool as suggested if it does not clear. Thx for the replies.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Its a good idea to get a scan tool anyway. I got sick of taking my n3 to my mechanic every time the CEL came on. I wanted to know what the problem was finding out by myself. you can get a decent one for about $100. it will tell you everything from the air intake temp to what your o2 sensors are reading and can do a drive cycle monitor. pluse the light can get really annoying, having the ability to check it and clear it for yourself is a bonus.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Not sure wife will let me spend $100 on one maybe $40-50. Any thoughts what would be a good one, also where do ya hook it up, is there a port by inside hood release? I have not looked under dash in quite a while.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM

you can get one for $50 it just doesnt have all the extra features. And yes the port to plug it in is under the dash near the hood release.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM

you can get one at auto zone or pepboys ,etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Thanks guys ill check it out this weekend. Have only driven twice but sad to say light is still on. Anyway thanks again!! Ill let ya know what happens.

Quick Reply: New problem