PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

new oem radio programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Default new oem radio programming

the first dealer says $100 !! just to prog after i install.

any comments or ideas?. im NOT paying 100.

the radio is new. just replacing the original 6 cd unit.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 AM

Not much of a choice if replacing an OEM radio with another OEM. It's an anti theft feature. It needs to be programmed.
Aftermarket radios don't have that feature.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Default wow

Expensive as Hell! Gotta love stealerships. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

I realize this does not answer your question, but.....
Whenever an OEM radio pukes, I have a large grin on my face because I can then justify buying an aftermarket head unit with far superior performance and features knowing that the $$ I save on buying a replacement OEM and programming goes right into the new one and adapter harness kit.

Usually have some good beer $$ left over to boot!

Old 01-08-2015, 12:54 PM

I am in the process of looking for a replacement for the 6 CD unit in my '09, so if you do decide to go with an aftermarket "head", I would be really interested in what it was, and how easily it went in.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM

i got my new oem on an insurance replacement deal and i actually like everything about it except for the missing input jack! my orig got a stuck cd from the rear end hit/jolt and i later dismantled it and unstuck the cd so it works like new.
i just want to use the new one to be sure its actually good/new and keep the other as a spare but not a $100 "test" so im stuck.

ill check other dealers and maybe find a honest one!
btw, list from gm on the new one was apx $800 so says the shop that did the "paperwork". ok by me.
so im looking for that OLD post about the add in jack if anyone knows.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 PM

I'm not sure if this will help...I bought an almost new 6 CD changer off CL to replace the worn faced original in my H2. Instead of paying for reprograming, I swapped the new faceplate onto the old CD changer. Just 4 or 6 little clips hold it on. No programming needed to test out the new one. Just a thought.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 PM

yeah,the front panel is ez to change. i want to know that the NEW one is ok!! while still in warr., use it and keep the old as backup.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
i got my new oem on an insurance replacement deal and i actually like everything about it except for the missing input jack! my orig got a stuck cd from the rear end hit/jolt and i later dismantled it and unstuck the cd so it works like new.
i just want to use the new one to be sure its actually good/new and keep the other as a spare but not a $100 "test" so im stuck.

ill check other dealers and maybe find a honest one!
btw, list from gm on the new one was apx $800 so says the shop that did the "paperwork". ok by me.
so im looking for that OLD post about the add in jack if anyone knows.
I can be of assistance if you're planning to add your own aux input. I did this a few months ago as my first solder job, super easy. Cost me less than 10 bucks. I will search for the follow up I used and provide a link.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:27 AM

Here is the video I used. Had to pause it a few times to view the wire scheme. Also, removing the head unit is not necessary, I didn't do it. Also, I had to wire posts 2 to 3, and 4 to 5 on the aux connector (bought from radio shack). Without doing that I couldn't get sound to produce.

My end result is superb, clear music at the touch of my iPod.
How to install aux 3.5 mm in GMC Canyon / Chevy C…:

Quick Reply: new oem radio programming