Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   New Hummer H1 owner and have some questions pertaining to maintenance (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/new-hummer-h1-owner-have-some-questions-pertaining-maintenance-38374/)

rh242603 05-23-2017 08:35 PM

New Hummer H1 owner and have some questions pertaining to maintenance

Hello all, proud new owner of a 1993 Hummer H1 with a rebuilt 6.2L. I am doing all maintenance on her before I start driving. I am concerned so far on my transmission filter, the retaining bolt just doesn't snug the filter all the way up on the transmission. It actually hangs down slightly with some slack, is this normal?

Previous Owner looks to have bypassed the AC Condenser although I don't think there is anything wrong with it. They bypassed it by using belts attached straight from water pump to alternator and fan to alternator. No belts are now attached to the condenser. Does anyone have a schematic or part number of the original belt that I can use to put on the Hummer to see if I can get the AC to work?

The air seems to blow either way but I am getting some water dripping from the bottom of the chassis around the oil filter area, is a heater core or something close to there where I should be checking for leaks?

Thanks for any help this forum can provide, I am ready to get this puppy on the road.

3hummers 05-24-2017 12:12 AM

Heater core is in the passenger footwell. Never see n a bypass like that but I would bet the compressor is locked up. No other reason for that bypass. I can check on the belt # for you.

rh242603 05-24-2017 12:50 PM

Thank you for the response. The condenser spins freely so not sure if that would alleviate it being locked up? How should I go ahead and run my serpentine belts? I have some pictures of how it is currently ran I will send shortly, I would like to get the belts back to stock rather than how they are now

Originally Posted by 3hummers (Post 344734)
Heater core is in the passenger footwell. Never see n a bypass like that but I would bet the compressor is locked up. No other reason for that bypass. I can check on the belt # for you.

rh242603 05-24-2017 02:41 PM

[img]webkit-fake-url://aab2da85-ed60-4565-b879-fe1df1c43aff/imagejpeg[/img]

Originally Posted by rh242603 (Post 344758)
Thank you for the response. The condenser spins freely so not sure if that would alleviate it being locked up? How should I go ahead and run my serpentine belts? I have some pictures of how it is currently ran I will send shortly, I would like to get the belts back to stock rather than how they are now

rh242603 05-24-2017 02:53 PM

Pics of belt set up

2 Attachment(s)
So here are the pics of how my belts are set up. Got two going from water pump to alternator, then two going from water pump to im assuming power steering pump. Is there a better way to route this? Should this all just be one serpentine belt to run each pulley? Again, I would like to get the AC hooked up to at least see if I can get it running correctly as it doesn't seem to have any disconnections or issues, may just need a R12 recharge.

3hummers 05-24-2017 10:14 PM

My 92 has the twin belt set up but it covers the AC also. Really busy day. I will try to get you pictures and belt numbers tomorrow.

rh242603 05-24-2017 11:48 PM

You're awesome, thank you for the help

Originally Posted by 3hummers (Post 344776)
My 92 has the twin belt set up but it covers the AC also. Really busy day. I will try to get you pictures and belt numbers tomorrow.

Ian Ward 05-26-2017 06:59 AM

The transmission filter hanging down with the pan off a bit is ok. The trans pan hold it up. Sounds like the po short betlted it because the ac compressor ( not the condenser) is bad. The clutch may still turn but compressor is probably still bad. Try rolling the compresor by hand not the clutch.The problem when ac compressors fail and come apart is that it dumps a lot of metal ( aluminum ) into your hvac system. The syystem will need to be flushed out internally.

rh242603 05-26-2017 02:29 PM

I was actually messing with it last night, the clutch spins freely and make a hissing noise in the back of the condenser upon rotation which I would think would be the noise of the frion being pushed into the system, but the belt pulley turns freely as well, it's worth a shot hooking it up and recharging it, I'm hoping the PO just didn't know it needed a recharge and disconnected it thinking it was bad. Anyone know what size belt it is and I'm assuming it routes straight to the water pump pulley?

Originally Posted by Ian Ward (Post 344797)
The transmission filter hanging down with the pan off a bit is ok. The trans pan hold it up. Sounds like the po short betlted it because the ac compressor ( not the condenser) is bad. The clutch may still turn but compressor is probably still bad. Try rolling the compresor by hand not the clutch.The problem when ac compressors fail and come apart is that it dumps a lot of metal ( aluminum ) into your hvac system. The syystem will need to be flushed out internally.

rh242603 05-27-2017 11:56 AM

Would you be able to provide belt numbers today? Would like to pick them up and get at it, I greatly appreciate it. Does your ac belt just run from the ac to the water pump pulley?

Originally Posted by 3hummers (Post 344776)