PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New H3, about to wheel with FJs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Default New H3, about to wheel with FJs

I said in a prev post I am going down tomorrow to pick up a Slate Blue H3, luxury package. I cannot wait - been lurking here for awhile and finally it's time.

Question for the gurus - Next weekend my trail buddies are heading out to either South Coyote Cyn (Borrego) or Cleghorn. They are 4 FJ guys and have been giving me no end of s**t about my purchase. What they don't know is the H3 runs rings around their little white-roofed Japanese pigs.

I have ordered the Steelcraft bumper mount witha Mile Marker. I do not have a firm tire choice but am liking the Open Country MT's. I know I can get this much on by the weekend.

I have some Jeep experience on these trails but have not taken an H3 offroad. To cut to the chase, what tips are there that you guys can give me to make sure the H3 clobbers the little white roofers the first time out?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Default RE: New H3, about to wheel with FJs

did you get the adventure package? if so then you will have a locking rear diff and a 4:1 t-case ratio it will beat the crap out of an fj with little or no skills needed...without the adventure package you will not have the rear locker and will have a higher final ratio in the t-case...still will be able to beat the fj but a little more driver input and skill will be needed.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:13 AM

Actually I do... forgot to mention that. Couple of the FJs have lockers, I know that. Two are stock. I just hope it's Cleghorn so I can romp on them... I know my way around there.

One of them called me tonite to beg me to buy an FJ instead. Man is he gonna eat his words whenI pull him out.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 AM

The locker is going to help a bunch. 4low (especially with an auto) makes for easy hill climbs and descents. Going down rocky, rutted hills I usually take my feet off the pedals and let the H3 do the work. It's great on controlling your descents, and ascents too of course.

Bring some D shackles and a recovery strap too so you can whip those out and pull them out when they get stuck, quicker than a winch for easy pulls.

Finally, bring a video camera so you can record your victory. And congrats on your new H3!
[/align]

Old 08-26-2007, 01:26 AM

Thanks import and alrock.

Anyideas on particular types of obstacles the H3 is stronger on? I want to take the FJsto the hardest stuff, obviously....[8D]

Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 AM

I outdueled a Wrangler today (with a 3" lift and better tires) here in the desert. Twice he got hung up on large dips with two opposite wheels off the ground. I had better hill climbing and descents than he did. Two weeks ago he beat me on crawling over rocks.

I got stuck in this pic and we had to throw rocks under the front driver tire to get me out. He bounced right up this. I was also being a bit too cautious, maybe warranted since I was 8" from that wall. So, how do you really win? Just go for it, the Hummer will handle it.

[/align]

Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 AM

OK alrock so it sounds like I should keep away from big rocks since I will not have a lift in yet. Hill climbing and descents it is then. I will keep it nice and steep.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:44 AM

He's a troll.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...4-h3-woes.html

Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 AM

Hahaha..that's funny!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

It's not that I don't like FJs, I just don't like anything TOYOTA![:@] Ban the sake sucking troll[:@]

Quick Reply: New H3, about to wheel with FJs