PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Default New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners

Hey whats up guys i am new to the forum. Well almost new this is my first thread. I just got 07 Slate Blue H3 in July. The running boards she came with were badly rusted. I did the best i could to sand off the rust. But it just was bad. So i kind of just put a "band aid" for now using Dupli-Color bed liner rattle can. Until i go another route. I keep em on being i have a 6 year old till he is big enough to jump in lol.

Then i figured how can i get rid of the chrome gaudy grill. I did some reading on throwing some bed liner on that. Why not, so i did. She is looking better by the day. All i am missing now is some black wheels & 35" 33" Dura Trac's. One day at a time. Haven't decided on if i'm gonna paint my stock wheels myself and save some dough. Or go another route. I added some pics of her and my mods before and after. Ill post some new pics later will the new grill on. I'm almost bling free!! lol.

Enjoy some before after pics. Hopefully much more to come

Attached Thumbnails New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0024.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0014.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0073.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0076.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0147.jpg  

Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 AM

Here is a up close pic of the grill. The other pic i took it was still wet.

Attached Thumbnails New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0153.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0152.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0019.jpg  

Last edited by Vcolassi; 08-19-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM

That looks good. What prep was required for the grill? Primer?

Ack... those rails are rusted bad... where are you located? I forget how bad stuff rusts. Here in Colorado rust is a rare condition. One really has to work at getting something to rust that bad.

Cheers, and welcome,

Doug in Colorado Springs

Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

I'm gonna suggest you clean the HELL out of the underbody of your truck. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor. Spray this on top of CLEAN rust. Check every day and keep putting more Rustoleum until all rust is gone.

Then go to car quest. Buy some of their rubberized undercoating; DONT buy the house-brand, but the other stuff (this was actually recommended by a car quest worker). Spray the HELL out of your frame, pumpkin, floor boards, EVERYTHING. It's gonna cost a bit, but it looks good as hell and will not let rust show up PERIOD.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

I live in PA/NJ. I did not primer it. I just scuffed it up good. My under body of my hummer is not rusted. It was just the running boards. The problem was they were cheap ones and water got trapped in the tubes. And it rusted inside out. Trust me those runner's are trash. I just put a band aid on them for the time being. I checked under the truck before i purchased. The under body its very clean actually. Previous owner was most certainly not a off road type person. Was actually a female. Here is a new pic of it on the hummer. Looks much better than that plastic bling lol.

Attached Thumbnails New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0176.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0158.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0170.jpg  

Last edited by Vcolassi; 08-19-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Also i figured while i was having so much fun spray painting. I taped up my skid plate and gave it a little custom touch. I'm really starting to need those 35's and black wheels!!!

Attached Thumbnails New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0182.jpg   New to Forum & my first modifications, of course bed liner grill & runners-img_0185.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

Truck looks good.

But I was telling you to undercoat the H3 before you start mudding, because once it's muddy it's a nightmare getting clean enough to undercoat. And if you dont undercoat it, the salt will tear your poor truck apart.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Cool

Ohhhhhh. Sorry 85 lol, yea i deff will. I was driving the other day and seen a girl driving a jeep. And you can tell she wheeled it. But you can tell she skipped the step you are telling me to do. THe jeep looked good, however the underside that i could see looked horrible. Nice and rusted. Ill be sure to do what you said. Thanks for the heads up. Matter fact ill go pick some up today. I'm always finding a excuse to go work on the hummer lol. Escape the woman for a bit

Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Banned

Just make sure you do several days and several layers worth of Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor before applying the rubberized undercoating.

I just got back from wheeling the first time since undercoating; the undercoating is unscathed. AND I was wheeling in a rocky creak bed that I"m certain i scraped the underbody with.