PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Brake Pads in 1hr

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 AM

If you need to change your rotors at the same time, do yourself a favor and source them before the day you are going to do the job. None of the major autoparts stores within 100 miles of me in south-central michigan had them in stock.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
If you need to change your rotors at the same time, do yourself a favor and source them before the day you are going to do the job. None of the major autoparts stores within 100 miles of me in south-central michigan had them in stock.
Nobody has mentioned anything about the rotors but aren't you supposed to have them turned each time you changed the brake pads? How many of you diyers left the rotors alone? any problems? i need to change my front brake pads and was gonna buy new rotors and pads but if i don't really need the rotors at 75k i'll just swap the pads out. thanks for any input.
Nice writeup as well!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

depends on how fussy u are and how bad they are worn. if just glazed i scuff them up. a sanding disc on a drill does it quik and even the back sometime if you're good. thats on other cars ive had,never did the h3 yet.

if the're working good now the'll work good when the new pads break in.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM

I just got back from the dealer and got my rear rotors turned for the third time in 23k miles. That grinding sound returned. They have a service bulletin on it, so it's covered under warranty. I asked if they could just replace the rotors because this last turn would put them at their limit, and I didn't want to have to pay out of pocket for new ones when this happens again in a few months. GM will only pay for turning if they're still within limits, but they told me to come in before my bumper to bumper expires, complain that the noise is back, and they would replace with new. I'm going to install ceramic pads after the new rotors are in place.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Default eBay

Has anyone tried a set like these yet? Seems like a good price and wondering if there is a got ya in the end...

FITS HUMMER H3 06 07 08 08 10 FRONT REAR DRILL SLOT BRAKE ROTORS W/ CERAMIC PADS | eBay

Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 AM

I would personally not run cross drilled or slotted rotors on my HUMMERs because we actually use them OffRoad. I have heard way to many horror stories about debris getting stuck in a hole or slot.

Might be good for the mall queens.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Banned

good advice,plus this aint no race car!!hardly need specialized hi perf brakes. stock work just fine.

(man i can imagine gravel in them there holes!)

Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM

To be honest, I had not though of that... I was more interested in the zinc plating and ceramic pads. I'll keep looking to see if anyone makes a full kit not drilled or slotted.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM

Rotors should be turned anytime you do a brake job, or replaced if out of spec. Gets rid of grooves, hot spots or uneven wear patterns. Sure your new pads will wear in,,, and you will also knock a third to half the life off of them in the process, plus that is how you get chattering, grinding and uneven braking.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned
Default Gets rid of grooves

did you ever see how they cut grooves in rotors on race cars?. it makes more surface area,better braking. naturally they probably dont last as long. brakes luckily are dirt cheep huh!

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads in 1hr