PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New from Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Default New from Abu Dhabi

Hi all, I am new here on this forum, just wanted to introduce myself a little.

We have an '07 H3 since new, it has now 78.000km, and it has never let us down yet. (the worst thing that, up till now, I had to fix was one of the parking lights...)

We originally come from Belgium, but live now since 7 years in the UAE. This place is a dream for big cars, petrol is cheap and a lot of off-the-road land with almost no restrictions. There is choice between sand, dust and dunes in the desert, rocky mountains, and wild wadis. up we ven have a few weeks with some rain and can play in the mud.

A few years back we decided to go back to Belgium again and I transported the H3 via seacontainer to Belgium, the car was driven there for a few months untill I had to get the official registration done. However I had problems due get it through "homologation". At the same time we decided to go back to the UAE again and I took the H3 in sea container gain and took it back here. So m y car has done quite some travelling. Thought about driving it back from Belgium to the UAE (around 6500km) but since there was some political trouble in some of the countries I had to pas, I abandonned that idea.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM

Hello and Welcome from MI. Thanks for posting up pix in your first post, nice yellow H3!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM

welcome to the site! nice looking h3 also!

steve

Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 AM

Hi Mike,

Welcome.....

I have been in UAE 4 yrs, 3.5 in Abu Dhabi and now 6 months in Dubai....

I have 2008 H3 Adventure, just swapped 5.3l V8 in when the I5 gave up.....we are off roading every Friday in the dunes around abui dhabi, dubai, LIWA!! ...have replaced a few more parts than you...lol....

Hope to see you on some trips soon, we go with the AD4X4 Club.....ad4x4.com......sorry if breaking any rules for mentioning the club but very important not to go to the dessert alone.....

No doubt you know to take air bag fuse out before hitting the dunes...expensive fix if you forget...they deploy easily due to angles we get to, especially side sloping/side cresting. FYI you just take fuse box lid off, looking at it from the front count in 3 from right side and 5 up, the red air bag light in dash will go on....when you put fuse back in the red light goes off and the orange air bag symbol goes on near 4x4 buttons.....well in the 2008 this is where the lights are, any ?'s pm me here or on ad4x4 name "Sean".

Happy NY's to you and you family...

Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Thank you all.

I like pictures, they are sometimes so much more than words.

Hi Sean,

Good to know there are more people out of the region here. I know ad4x4, I've hit the dunes several times a long and know a couple of guys who go out most of the weekends. I have a few busy weekends coming up, but I'm sure that before the summer starts, I will join ad4x4 for a couple of rides.
I'm very used to remove fuse 27, in fact I believe it's more out than in, but thanks for the tip anyway. About going in to the desert alone: a few years back I got a call in the evening from a mate who went out camping in Al Khatim, by himself and his girlfriend. It took us up to the morning to find him and to recover his truck (disco...) although everyone got out safe, you actually only realise on such moments how stupid and dangerous it can be.

Happy New Year to you all too!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 AM

Mike,

I'm another expat in UAE - brought up in UK, but ended up in Fujairah via Oman, Yemen etc.

I'm heading back to UK soon and thinking of taking my H3. You mentioned some problems getting yours legal in Belgium? What type of issues were those?