PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! hummer owners guide me down the right path

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Default Need help! hummer owners guide me down the right path

Hello all..... Well to make a long story short I bought my wife a new suv (I bought It) and well i cant use it.... Well ive decided its my turn... help needed in the decision H2 or H1, Im a new father and want the safety, But im also a speed demon selling off toys to find a slower safer fun..(something Bad ***) My heart is set on a hummer i just need a little guidence in the right direction.. I need to tow jet skis to the water locally , Not a daily driver, Ive had company vehicle for over 15 years and will have for another 15 im sure. need good in the snow. I live in CT. family fun, home depot runs, ice cream with my daughter, some wheelin. but the only thing stopping me is i hear maintenance is a bitch, and parts and now unavailable... first - h1 or h2? second - which model is the most sought after? third - is what i hear true about maintenance, and parts almost impossible to get?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Welcome Charlie, from CT as well...
Parts are limited but still readily available. For towing purposes and less matinence I would suggest an H2. They're we're produced for a large number of years compared to the H3 and the mass numbers compared to the H1s are staggering. The motors are also used in numerous other vehicles so alot of parts cross over.

H1s are definitely high matinence and parts are extremely rare.
However you could also look into an 08-10 H3 Alpha w/ the 5.3L V8...
More nimble for the trails around us here in CT...

-Dan

Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Dagkana said it right, my 2 cents is that the H1 is obviously bigger, heavier and will have a higher owner cost unless you are a mechanic as well. i agree that the H1 is more of a bada$$ than the H2 and it is obvious in the design. however, you will be able to find parts for all the hummer lines for quite some time. people today do not seem to have too much trouble finding and rebuilding parts for classic cars, so why should the hummer brand be any different? we have the internet too. so i would put aside the fear of not finding parts in the future and go with what you really would like to have. if money is no object and you want the true hummer/humvee experience, go with the H1. I dont feel the H2 or H3 can compare to the feeling of driving the H1. nonetheless, that being said, the H2 will be a lot less of a maintenence hassle and the ride will be smoother. as far as safety, youll probably do better in the H2 with all the standard safety features like airbags, traction control, etc. all the hummer lines will perform just fine on and off-road. i wont say anything about the H3 since you do not seem to be interested. if you do go with the H1, get the 6.5L V8 turbo diesel. anything else will be underpowered and more of a mechanical headache. definitely do not get the gas engine. let us know what you decide and post some pics after you get one! cheers!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Default Thanx for the info guys

Well I've gone through all the info I've been able to gather over the past week, and I've decided I'm going for the h2 SUT. Now it's time to get out there and find the one that suits me....... Great forum guys, proud to be a member... Engineer by trade so hopefully repairs should be fairly straight forward, we shall see... Lol!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM

I would go with the H2 also. I know the H1 is the original but the 2's are better. The 3's can pull a lot of weight. You would be suprised and it would be more $ in the boat's gas tank for more fun.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

H1 parts aren't difficult to obtain and H1s hold their value very well, at least starting 2-3 years back. There were only 12000 made over the 15 year production run but they share almost all of the mechanical parts with the 100,000+ thousand Humvees made for the military and AMG is contracted to supply spare parts to the military for years to come. I have broken even or made money on every H1 I have ever owned.
H2s are by far the most comfortable of the Hummer models. Well appointed, good ride and relatively common mechanical parts. I made money on one of my H2s and lost big time on the other.
H3s, smaller, more nimble, well appointed( though not as well as the H2 ) A great truck and a lot of capability for the money.
Interior parts seem to be the hardest to get for all three. Some body panels have been difficult for the H2 and H3.
The H2 SUT is a great choice. I loved mine and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie
.... I've decided I'm going for the h2 SUT. Now it's time to get out there and find the one that suits me......
There's a nice one for sale in Southington at Sunset Auto