PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help. H1 dead.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Default Need help. H1 dead.

OK so my 2001 H1 wagon started fine this AM and did fine on a short trip. Started fine again and was almost home and driving slow through my neighborhood and suddenly died and steering locked. Odd smell under the hood. Not quite like burning electronics but weird smell. Now the glow plug light doesn't come on (2 hrs later) and the starter turns but doesn't start. Any ideas?

For full disclosure, I did change oil and filter this weekend and charge the AC. I added Sea Foam additive to the oil prior to oil change and also the fuel as per the instructions. I have used this product for years on other vehicles with no issues. The oil has not leaked and the level still checks normal. I drove it all day yesterday without any issues.

Thanks in advance!

D

Old 05-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing you did would have any impact on what the truck is doing. Have you checked to see if the lift pump is pumping fuel? Open the bleeder valve on the top and turn the engine on. See if you are getting a clear stream of diesel. Is it trying to start, catching or coughing or does the starter just turn?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. It doesn't seem to catch at all. The starter just engages and that's all. I had to leave right after to take my son to camp so I won't be home to try to evaluate the pump until the weekend but will check and let you know. Thanks again!

D

Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM

Where is the bleeder valve located? On the fuel pump? Also now one week later when I go out to try to start it, the wait light for the glow plug does not come on nor do I hear the typical buzz of the glow plug as I had previously. But if this is a glow plug issue would that cause it to die while driving? If the engine was warm enough to start I wouldn't think that would matter once underway.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 PM

So I believe this is the valve from the fuel lifter. The picture needs to be rotated 90 degree for reference. It is located in the drivers front wheel well. I cranked the engine and tried to open the stopcock and it only dripped fuel. Honestly it doesn't feel like the stop **** actually opens - it actually just dripped a bit even before cranking and didn't drip much more once I tried to open it.

Attached Thumbnails Need help. H1 dead.-valve.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM

UPDATE: So I took the truck in. Turns out it was the low pressure fuel pump that was bad. It blew the fuse to the PCM so in essence the PCM was dead too. No damage to the PCM - new pump and the truck is back running great.