PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Default Need a good remote starter

Remote start has now become a necessity for me. I've read plenty of threads where there seems to be an abundance of 'gremlins' associated with the aftermarket installs of them. I'd really appreciate hearing from any of you guys who have had one installed, and experienced zero problems. If such a creature exists, could you tell me the brand, model, and anything you might not have been happy with. Ideal feedback would be from someone with an '08 Alpha, but, any input would be great!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Hey BH,

My buddy owns a custom shop and we recently went about installing this remote start: http://www.compustar.com/products/cs/RF-2W900.html

Compustar is one of the best names in alarms and remote starts if you ask me. Viper is a more household name but in my experience Compustar is on the same level if not better than Viper. At my friends shop they install nothing but Compustar, used to do Viper but switched over a few years ago.

I also have the Drone Mobile module which lets me lock, unlock, start, and track my truck from my iPhone. For the remote start you will need the one I linked, a brain, and a bypass module. My buddy did the whole thing for $200 but that's cost prices along with friend labor prices. I helped with the install, but wouldn't recommend doing it on your own unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

I have an 08 Alpha, and if you're looking for a remote start that one is great, I totally love it, the remote is great, and the range is awesome. I just started my truck from a basement gym using the remote because my phone didn't have a signal.

The only problem I had was the back light on the remote stopped working the second day, but I attribute that to just being a fluke, I got a replacement and haven't had an issue since.

edit: Since I offered you some advice offer me some, did you notice a performance boost with your airdoc and exhaust? And if you could find some way so let me see what the exhaust sounds like I would be seriously grateful!

Last edited by Draketh; 12-29-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM

I got a 08 alpha and had a Nustart 8000 installed (GM had it sent out before Ipicked it up, they even said it was better than any factory remote) no problems at all in 3 years. It looks just like the Compu start above and is 2 way. Range is excellent on mine.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh

edit: Since I offered you some advice offer me some, did you notice a performance boost with your airdoc and exhaust? And if you could find some way so let me see what the exhaust sounds like I would be seriously grateful!
Draketh....thanks for the info. I should have mentioned, that I'm looking for a 'bare bones' remote start, no alarm, fancy lcd fob, or any other frills that come with a lot of these systems. I want to keep my OEM fob to lock/unlock, and IF possible, activate the remote starter.
I did mileage checks before and after the AirDoc, and Magna Flo/ K&N combo, and quite honestly saw no improvement. As far as power increase, I was so impressed with the Alpha right out of the box, that any additional performance was hard to notice (but I'm glad I did it anyway). As far as the Magna Flo sound....AWESOME! Not to overbearing, but a definite 'here comes a V8 with some power' sound!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Draketh....thanks for the info. I should have mentioned, that I'm looking for a 'bare bones' remote start, no alarm, fancy lcd fob, or any other frills that come with a lot of these systems. I want to keep my OEM fob to lock/unlock, and IF possible, activate the remote starter.
I did mileage checks before and after the AirDoc, and Magna Flo/ K&N combo, and quite honestly saw no improvement. As far as power increase, I was so impressed with the Alpha right out of the box, that any additional performance was hard to notice (but I'm glad I did it anyway). As far as the Magna Flo sound....AWESOME! Not to overbearing, but a definite 'here comes a V8 with some power' sound!
You won't be able to keep your OEM fob, thats for sure. Check out Compustars site at some of their normal button remote starts without LCD's, they are still good products. I don't have an aftermarket alarm, just the OEM one. Even if you're just doing a remote start you're still going to need a brain and a bypass module, at least in my experience.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Banned
Default preciate the honesty,,,

after the AirDoc, and Magna Flo/ K&N combo, and quite honestly saw no improvement.

lots of claims,,lots of ego boosting,,lots of money that could go into the gas tank!!

i saw some $75 air flow ,home brew pipes that people said did something but no factual comparisons.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I was wondering if there was a Compustar model that would let you roll down the windows with a push button? Had that feature in my Infiniti and was wondering if it's possible with the H3. I saw that model you posted, and looks pretty interesting.

I was thinking about a Magna Flow cat back for my Alpha too, but weary of the emissions. California has strict emissions standards :-(

Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Got a remote starter installed. Went with the Clifford 1.3X LE Responder. Worked out great! No issues so far. Clifford, Viper, Python and several others are all made by Directed Electronics, so I felt comfortable going that route. http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=722

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 AM

I have had Vipers on my 06, 08, and 10 with no problems until recently. I had to have my master cylinder replaced and they had a devil of a time progamming the module. There is a circuit going to the brake light switch which was not allowing them to program. The dealer said it could put parts of my warranty in jeopardy which is likely BS, but I may remove it anyway just to avoid the headaches with the dealer. I can understand the some of the extra circuitry may make the computer see oddities when programming. I do like the convience of a remote starter and a far as function, the Viper's have been great.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 PM

I'll second the Compustar. Had the basic remote start installed recently on our 08' Alpha and am very happy with the range and performance. My cost was $300 from my offroad shop including labor.