PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2005 H2

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Default My 2005 H2

I was driving my 1991 Landcruiser - and was very happy with that truck. Then I attempted to tow my 5x10 trailer. It was downshifting to stay at 60mph, and then blew the radiator (it was 110 that day too). So I decided I needed to upgrade my tow vehicle.

I was looking at trucks and had owned an '05 F-150, but just wasn't thrilled with just another truck. I decided to check out the H2, and just verify that this was a completely impractical, unneccessary, silly vehicle to buy.

I found this one and took it for a test drive. I loved everything about it and couldn't wait to get back and buy it.

I've had it for 20 days now and here is the rundown on what I've got:

First, how do I know what trim level it is?

It doesn't have the airbags, coil springs in the rear.

115k - but a clean carfax check - seems to have spent it's life in Texas and Arkansas.

It had a broken taillight at pruchase - small hole in the reverse lens on the driver side. So I replaced the taillights with Anzo Red/Clear LED lights from Andy'sAutoSport. Great fit, look original, the only issue was the enclosed "directions" said the '05 didn't need the resistor pack, but I did. No issue as it was a plug in connector.

I replaced all the interior lights with LEDs also from IJDMtoy - the kit they have is short two t10s and two dome bulbs. But they look great and light the interior up like a UFO.

I replaced the DRL with LEDs from IJDMtoy also - I had ordered them, and then put in some Sylvania silverstars and was happy with them, but the LEDs look nice also and I've left them in.

I added the Airraid throttle body spacer and Airraid intake tube - but still have the stock air filter. I didn't notice any difference in mileage - maybe a little better throttle response, maybe not.

I put on some JBA shorty headers (titanium coated) from Auto Anything, I had one broken manifold bolt on the Left front, and I would say the truck is quieter now than it was - Borla cat-back system is next.

The only change I've made that I'm not extremely happy with it the stereo - we were going out the Saturday after I bought it with a group and so I rushed a decision and bought a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD at Best Buy - 249 for the head unit - 104 for the Integration module, and 104 for the steering wheel control module - plus ~40 for the Ipod cable misc for install kit - 589.00 total.

The price wasn't bad compared to Crutchfield, but if I had done my research I would have selected a different unit - most of what I do is with my iPhone - and this said it had an App Mode so you could display the output on the screen (but this is for video only, so I can't output my GPS app to the screen like I thought I would be able to) - the ipod integration is out the front, so a cable has to be hanging out the front of the unit - I was hoping to run the cable out the back and have it connect in the console. It also seems to be underpowered - it isn't nearly as loud as the stock unit. I'll probably be looking to swap this out once I find the "perfect match".

Outside the exhaust I don't have anything else planned - I do have the spare tire inside and would like to free up that space, but haven't decided to go with a roof rack or rear bumper mount.

I do go camping quite a bit, with Scouts and with other adults, so this truck will venture off the pavement.

Here are a couple of pictures also:

^Driveway oil stains are from Toyota - transmission fluid during Radiator swap^

Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Nice Duce welcome to HF.