PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Default RE: Mud Flaps?

We need some comfirmation photos of the alleged Girl friend Debi, driving said HUMMER...[8D]

Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

We need some comfirmation photos of the alleged Girl friend Debi, driving said HUMMER...[8D]
OK, OK. But "alleged" GF Debi, snagged "said" Hummer minutes after I finished installing the new E&G flares and flaps. It was her BD yesterday, so she went out with her friends as I was hogging her all day (and all night! [sm=lildevil.gif]), so now she is out having fun in the Hummer while I stay home and recuperate. FROM THE FLAPS INSTALL FUNNY GUYS!!! . Debi is kind of shy, so it might be a trick to get a "Debi approved" photo to post, but I'll see what I can do.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 AM

how were they to install? did they fit good?

Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 AM

They fit great, and were a pretty easy install. The instructions were a little lame I thought, but it wasn't to hard to figure out. The flares use factory holes and come with supplied new fasteners. The flaps need a small notch cut out of the factory plastic wheelwell cover mount (it's hidden so you'll never see it). You can install with the tires on, but will need some tools such as a drill, some specific sized drill bits, 2 different sized sockets, a phillips and slot screwdriver, a pop riveter, a hammer, and a very sharp knife. The kit comes with 4 expanding pressure rivets, that used a plastic screw, that is very lame, so I went to the hardware store and found 4 black metal screws that look identical and cost pennies, and they worked out great. The first plastic screw I tried would not "screw" properly, and when I finally got it mostly in, the head twisted off. All in all, it took about 2 hours to put 'em on. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM

I have a sheet of clear Plexiglass (thin and flexable) left over from a sand blasting cabinet project and I was thinking about making some "invisable" mud flaps. Sound good to anyone or do you think it would look strange? If I decide to do it I will post some pictures of the finished project.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Scottrod

I have a sheet of clear Plexiglass (thin and flexable) left over from a sand blasting cabinet project and I was thinking about making some "invisable" mud flaps. Sound good to anyone or do you think it would look strange? If I decide to do it I will post some pictures of the finished project.
Clear flaps at first seem like a cool idea to me, but when I think about the logistics of it, they'll look good when clean, but you'll totally see the mud and crap when they're dity. Plus, after time of having mud/sand/dirt thrown up on them, they will probably become opaque as they are ground away as if by sandpaper. Building them would be kinda tricky too,as plexiglass thin enough to "mold" to the wheelwell etc, won't retain it's shape to 'hang" properly. If it's too thick, you could try some heat to actually warp it to fit.

I'd say it's worth a try if you got the stuff and maybe make on flap to see how it goes, but overall sounds like a tricky project in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:09 PM

I have the OEM flaps on my H3. They definitely work but they do not provide the best coverage. The Husky ones do come out a little further and should help.

GM should not even make the flaps an option on these vehicles. They should be standard. On a sunny dry day, i brought my white truck home to show it off. By the time I arrived, the truck had roostertails of dirt up both sides. The flaps were bought the next day. You definitely need them. The truck is awesome though.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 PM

Here's a few pics of the E&G fender flares and mud flaps I just put on. We drove around town today, and they really do make a big difference (they better for $400+). If I did it again, I would be REALLY tempted to order them in matching body color as an option, but overall I am very happy.

I also totally agree with Dennis that mud flaps are a "must have" for vehicles. Not only do they dress it up, and help keep it clean, butthey certainly help reduce frustration and anger for other drivers too. It really cheeses me off when I'm replacing my windsheild or touching up rock chips because the guy in front of me has no flaps.[sm=icon_flaming.gif]

I understand some people not liking the look, or limits on ground clearance they may introduce, and to each his own, but thats my two bits.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1527/B45C47385AF3451A95325F58977403A6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1527/6EE87EA341C24DC887C8E6F7BFF15B89.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1527/73C077ABEE344660B0CF8137E53AECBB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2007, 06:47 PM

G/F driving your Hummer.....just doesn't seem right to me. There should be rules against such commandeering of the Hummer by said G/F. Ruglations regarding the driving and handling of such Hummer by said G/F should be laid out in writing and signed prior to usage.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: RutDogg

G/F driving your Hummer.....just doesn't seem right to me. There should be rules against such commandeering of the Hummer by said G/F. Ruglations regarding the driving and handling of such Hummer by said G/F should be laid out in writing and signed prior to usage.
That's your opinion, but likely if I tried to enforce that, I'd end up with rules and regulatoins regarding the driving and handling of said G/F.[sm=badidea.gif] My G/F gets to drive the hummer anytime! (except when I'm in it!!!)

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps?