PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moguls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 AM
Default Moguls?

My friends have a moto-cross track on thier property that we like to play with my h3 on. It has a whoop section but thats not much fun just going up and down. There are some unused parts of the property we were thinking about putting in a 4x4 course. I think we are going to start with some moguls. Does anybody know the proper way to make these? Looking at the videos from the Hummer Academy, it looks like they can be pretty huge but I was wondering about dimensions so I can replicate?
I am guessing spacing the center of each pair apart about the length of the wheelbase? What about depth? We have a claw so I was thinking about digging down about 20" for each and leaving the high part just the level ground?
I dont want to go outside the capability of the adv.h3 but I still want to get the wheels nice and far off the ground too

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: Moguls?

I'm sure if you give them a call they will be able to help you. Or you can email them, I'll pm you with Steve Spengler's email. And Secondly where are you setting up this course? Can the Hummer Forums Members come over and play?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM

just keep in mind the diagnals (front left, rear right) tire. Those should be your high/low points - and they can be HUGE...one place I worked had mounds that were enormous, and the Hummer never sat at the very top or bottom because of the depth/height..but they were fun..

Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the pm Trey! I'll give him an email! I really want to go to the academy but from what I hear its expensive and baby needs a new pair of shoes (315 pro comp xtreme m/t's ). And this will be south west Michigan...its not technically my property so I can't just invite everybody over...but the owners are nice young people and a case of beer goes a long way around here.

Good thought Hummer Guy.. that probably should be the distance I measure otherwise it wont be much fun.

I'm abit of anerd and like my numbers so Iwas thinking about getting out a calculator to figure out exactly how far I can push it as far as design...would "the limit" be the 60% grade and the 40% side slope at the same time? Or do mogul physics let you go further?

Old 05-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Moguls are more of a mix between (corner to corner movement) the side slope and upslope. They'd have to be some pretty crazy moguls to push those 40/60 limits - and I think to do that you'd almost needto do the moguls on a hill...sounds fun, though.. the fun part to me about flat-surface moguls is having the truck teeter-totter back and forth with tires way off the ground

Old 05-09-2007, 01:50 PM

I pulled out the calculator and figured out what would be the "safe mogul depth" using a little bit of physics and math.

H3
max side slope: 40%
track width: 65"
mogul depth: 24.14"
your butt'll be in the air 4 feet

H2
track width: 69.4"
mogul depth: 25.77"
your but'll be in the air 4 feet 3.5 inches

H1
track width: 71.6"
mogul depth: 26.59"
your butt'll be in the air 4 feet 5.2 inches

Just for fun...Rubicon
max side slope: 84% (!?!?)
track width: 61.9
mogul depth: 39.81"
your but'll be in the air 6 feet 7.6 inches

I didn't know that the side slope ratings between Hummer and Jeep were so different! Hummer advertises 40% (21.8 degrees) and Jeep advertises 60 degrees (84%). There must be some discrepency between how its measured..but thatsa pretty huge difference!!