PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB GL550 vs. H3 Alpha

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Default MB GL550 vs. H3 Alpha

I'm looking to trade in my Mercedes Benz S550 4matic in a minimum of 5 years. I was also considering the Mercedes Benz GL550. But... It doesn't have such a good turning circle (39.6 ft) or gas mileage (13 city) My friend said you should buy american, the H3 gets better city (17 as my friend told me) and a rated turning circle of 37 ft. And will there be a 3rd row seat in the H3 anytime soon?
Thank you and have a happy Halloween

Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 AM

Your friend is a smart man, as for the Hummer 3rd row, it really hasn't been brought up. Id look into an H2 if you have to have a 3rd row, one in the H3 just isn't gonna leave you anything for space storage wise. If you take what you were spending on your Mercedes and put it towards buying a used H3 there's a few companies out there that will even do diesel swaps for 15-20k or the other rumor is that the new owner's are hoping to start making diesel powered H3s for the european market 1st and than american after that... so it's all a matter of timing now, since you said you have a 5 year window, see how things go with the new owners and than re-evaluate

Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Default 3rd row seat.

actually there are a few Jump seats out there for the h3..they go on the trunk and face the other way but im still thinking of getting one too.. just for the hell of it lol

Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM

who would be sitting in the 3rd row? even full sized SUV's have pretty useless 3rd rows (tahoe, H2 etc). there is no actual floorboard, so anyone taller than 5' is going to have their knees hitting their chin. just from what i've seen, the rear cargo area in the H3 is far too small to even think about putting a true 3rd row... and the aftermarket jump seats look rather uncomfortable.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM

In 5 years there will be a new H3 and a new GL, what's on the market now doesn't matter.

At this point, Escalade or the new X5 would be much closer to the same concept as the GL. Hummers are a whole different off-road biased animal, kind if like comparing a station wagon to a sports car.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:24 AM

I have a Mercedes ML-55 (AMG) and just purchased an H3T Alpha. They are quite different vehicles. My wife wouldn't think of giving up her Mercedes for a HUMMER, but it fits my desires better. I've taken the AMG 4-wheeling when the kids wanted to go off-roading and it did exceptionally well (as good as the Jeep Wrangler we had). My wife said there is something "wrong" (or right from my point of view <:}) with seeing a mud-covered luxury-performance vehicle. I don't feel the need to clean up the HUMMER immediately after getting dirty, as I think it giver it character. I didn't like the chrome wheels in the mud and rocks, but HUMMER put them on the Alpha anyway. Both appear to be extremely reliable, similar maintenance cost, but it depends on what you want to do with your ride.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Sounds like completly different vehicles... Do I want a colbolt or an AMG 55? :-/