PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the Market...need your expertises..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Default RE: In the Market...need your expertises..

Drew,

I want the hardtop becauseit will be sealed. I have test driven a couple softtop and all the owners have said that sometimes they leak water. I am going to be using this for mostly sand and cold weather. I don't want to have to clean out sand from the interior, and of course I like how it looks better as well. I haven't found a single hardtop on ebay recently. If you could point me in this direction that would be awesome!

Also, how could you tell that the white picture I posted is aftermarket? Is there a way you can spot a difference. So many variations, my mind is boggled.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

I found a hardtop with a slant back, not sure if it is removable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...QQcmdZViewItem

here is an open top with a hard shell
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Humme...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: ronb

I talked to Cal Gold a few weeks ago about a hard top with no rear shell (just a back panel/window) and they said they've made a few and it woudn't be that hard to do...for $5k. Oi vey! That back panel costs mor then the shell!! Pretty sure I could get one fabbed/painted for half that. I was never in love with the front edge of the Cal Gold top where it meets the a pillar anyway. Wish they had made it more flush and angled it.

Injunfarian, how does your top do in the rain?

rb
Sorry I stopped watching this thread heh! but yea I know its pricey for them I lucked out and bought mine used with custom insulated headliner... ended up paying 2300 for it...
As for where the the shell meants the A pillar I honestly dont mind it... gives me about 3" to write some stuff in there... still unsure though was thinking about Real Trucks Rattle.... or Jeep Recovery Squad 1-800-NOT-JEEP kinda like their version of H2 Recovery Squad 1-800-GOT-JEEP heheh
As for hold up in the rain well I doubled up the topper tape(weather stripping) where it connects just over the B Pillar that held up fine... then my friend who helped me forgot to do it over the rear shell(just over the C pillar) that leaked a bit but I ended up buying silicon and doing both and it holds up great... but the people before me didnt do the rear window too well and that leaks. but thats fixable. The only problem I have with it is the locking mechanism on the slantback door is a bit loose and rattles at idle sometimes but then again thats tweakable as well... Also the top has alot of gaps... that you have to fill with weatherstripping etc. but if you put the time into it its a very nice top.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Eric H.

I have a removable hardtop although mine is a slantback I know calgold makes a wagon back as well and also there is the helmet top as well... but I never seen a 4dr hardtop kit for the opentop yet...
As for being able to put a factory hardtop on an opentop it is more than just putting the hardtop on you will have to replace the rollbars as well since they are about 2" higher on the softtop than the hardtop models.
As for year models best place to look is lynch hummer site.
[/quote]

I was looking for a hardtop from the factory, NON removable. So one that is welded in. I think with most removable hardtops, rain leakage, squeeking, rattling and overall interior noise is more.

So am I getting this correctly...the factory hardtop is fully welded in with no roll bar like the open top. The open top with an aftermarket hardtop will have the benefit of the rollbar, and it will be removable and not welded in?
[/quote]

the factory hardtops are removable if you try hard enough but they are not welded(aluminum body and steel roof) is a bit tricky to weld instead they are riveted together that is why the hardtops right at where they connect to the body(too many metals) also they hardtops come with rollbars they just are not as high as the softtop roll bars I believe that is due to the sagging of the softtop would make it even more compact... as for rainleakage if you install it proper it shouldnt leak... squeeking yea I get a bit.. rattling yea but im sure its fixable. interior noise is more sure more than a well insulated factory hardtop but I believe it is better than my softtop except for when its rattling....

Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM

I believe the white one is a factory top due to it not being raised 2" to make up for the extended roll bar... note how it doesnt add 2-3" ontop of the windshield frame(A pillar) also with the ventilation slots at the rear I dont believe any after market did that.
Best way to tell if its after market is...
Aftermarket hardtop on softtop:
Look at the A pillar(windshield frame) if the top doesnt extend that 2-3"then it isnt a calgold conversion
Also look at it from the side the helmet is another aftermarket top now it doesnt add the 2-3" at the windshield frame but gradually does it from the windshield frame to the B pillar(just between the front doors and rear doors) if the top slants upward then it could be a helmet conversion....

Aftermarket 4dr hrdtop to slantback:
easiest way to tell is look at the slantback door... if the truck still has a tailgate then its a aftermarket conversion... if the slantback door is 1 piece then it could be a factory slantback given that its a 2000 model year...

Attached is a picture of my H1 with the Calgold slantback shell from the front you will see what i mean about the extra 2-3"

[IMG]local://upfiles/894/26E3A769E43C4FA0BFE89E885EFE6A21.jpg[/IMG]