PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Engine swap info

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM

I'd rather go with a supercharger kit on the I-5 or a Diesel conversion, but that's just my own taste.

I wonder if picking up a salvage yard Trailblazer SS and then dropping it off along with your H3 in Wichita would be helpful? At any rate, I'd definately give that Mike Mash fella' a call!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
I'd rather go with a supercharger kit on the I-5 or a Diesel conversion, but that's just my own taste.

I wonder if picking up a salvage yard Trailblazer SS and then dropping it off along with your H3 in Wichita would be helpful? At any rate, I'd definately give that Mike Mash fella' a call!
A guy named "Nugget" in the other Forum put a turbo on his 3.7. Didn't like it so he converted to a supercharger. He was an Aussie. Anyone see that?

Bob

Old 06-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by D VADER
A guy named "Nugget" in the other Forum put a turbo on his 3.7. Didn't like it so he converted to a supercharger. He was an Aussie. Anyone see that?

Bob
I had a turbo Diesel car about 10 years ago and it was nasty in the rain and snow. I can see how a turbo engine wouldn't be fun or controllable off-road.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:41 PM

I considered forced induction and even fabbed up a manifold for a turbocharger. I would only get to 300 hp at reasonable boost levels and have drivability problems. That's why I opted for an LS2 crate engine. I wouldn't add any more power to it though. When I floor it, the whole car lurches to the side a little from the torque. It's definitely not a drag vehicle. I have a heavy duty tranny from Monster Transmission and it sounds like I'm killing it at full torque.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by silicone boy
I considered forced induction and even fabbed up a manifold for a turbocharger. I would only get to 300 hp at reasonable boost levels and have drivability problems. That's why I opted for an LS2 crate engine. I wouldn't add any more power to it though. When I floor it, the whole car lurches to the side a little from the torque. It's definitely not a drag vehicle. I have a heavy duty tranny from Monster Transmission and it sounds like I'm killing it at full torque.
We did a Trailblazer SS test drive before buying our '06 H3. I still remember the strong, smooth, and progressive power delivery!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Yeah, the Trailblazer SS was my inspiration for this project. I call mine the "Hummer SS". Nice smooth power delivery across the RPM range, no compromises, really. As I said, my gas mileage hasn't suffered if I'm good with the gas pedal, and in fact, I get better MPG's than others on the forum with their I5's.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM

I have an LS2 in mine.

Current Performance did my wiring harness and I got a PCM from them, but I had to get a junkyard harness because some of the connectors are made by Sumitomo. They have mounts for the Colorado, but they don't work unless you get the Alpha specific oilpan. That's where the similarities end. An H3 is not just a redressed Colorado--they are not as similar as you might think. The stock transfer case on the H3 is Japanese (Isuzu, I believe). You will need to get a 4l65e for the transmission to bolt up to the transfer case ( l looked into the 4l60e and it may not work, and you also lose your traction control (who cares!). !

ya im not too worried about traction control haha. Your right about the 4L65E but what about a 4l85e haha. GTO's come with a ls2 4l65e combo. but most likely ill end up getting a new crate motor and tranny, maybe a LS9...... but did you replace your transfer case? I was thinking of maybe using a spicer 18 or np205 if theres room.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX

that already crossed my mind, but i plan on doing a 41 chevy with a duramax.

check this out....
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...max/index.html

Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 AM

The Hummer in the Youtube video belongs to a friend of mine in Brisbane Australia, it still runs an I5 3.7 with a Vortec supercharger. I have driven the car and it goes like a bat out of hell it is cranking out over 400hp at the flywheel and is 100% reliable. I am going to do mine when I can afford it.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 AM

I have an LS2 in mine. I've posted it a couple of times before. Much better than the 5.3 in the Alpha (which has a whopping total of 60ish more HP than the I5) and my gas mileage is hardly changed at all (16-18 highway):

Current Performance did my wiring harness and I got a PCM from them, but I had to get a junkyard harness because some of the connectors are made by Sumitomo. They have mounts for the Colorado, but they don't work unless you get the Alpha specific oilpan. That's where the similarities end. An H3 is not just a redressed Colorado--they are not as similar as you might think. The stock transfer case on the H3 is Japanese (Isuzu, I believe). You will need to get a 4l65e for the transmission to bolt up to the transfer case ( l looked into the 4l60e and it may not work, and you also lose your traction control (who cares!).

Although I have done many engine swaps, I farmed this out to Mike Mash in Wichita. This was a difficult swap because you need to get the right combo of accessories for the front. Mine was the test subject though and he has a pretty good handle on this. He does a lot of H2 drivetrains into H3's and that is more straightforward. You might give him a call, especially if you don't have the ability to lift the body off of the frame. It's much easier to do the swap that way. I would do the swap again in a heartbeat

swap looks good!

This is not that hard to do and alot cheaper than buying a V8 hummer. You should be-able to do this for about 5 grand if you shop around a bit.

Check this out it is a colorado but, very similar, and based off the same platform as the H3. At the end of the thread you will see a list of possible parts needed.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/o...ou-guys-23952/

The trans won't directly bolt up, automatics just have to swap input shafts, bell-housings, torque convertors. The 4l65E from your I5 hummer will work with these mods!

Ma5 manual needs new fly-wheel clutch, advanced adapters bell-housing, trans spacer, and a few mods here and there.

06-07 hummer should use E40 PCM and 24x ignition motor.
08-12 hummer could use E67 and a 58x ignition motor.

You can go either way, but sticking with the above rule is the easiest.
in 08 hummer changed the fire wall, and frame rails for the V8 making room for a truck style intake. The older models will work still, just use the car style intake manifold.

Current performance, makes engine mounts (called colorado LSX mounts) should also work on the H3 hummer.

I offer wiring harness, etc

Quick Reply: LS2 Engine swap info