PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 conversion...First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Default RE: LS2 conversion...First impressions

this would be awsome in a production H3 i wish GM would offer such a package but if they did could u afford it?? well meaning how they always mark up so called pakg deals,, i would love to see a turbo dis, offerd

Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 PM

I may have missed it in the earlier posts, but what was the cost and what was the name of the fella that did this for you?

Googling it I didn't find much (other than GM is making a diesel H3 in 09 for foreign markets and probably domestically in 2010).

I am very interested in this, especially if he could do a diesel swap. I had an 2001 2500 with the Duramax the first year they had that. I had that thing so tricked out that even with a 6" lift and 36" mudders I beat a lightning at the drags, ever since then I've been in love with diesel, though I haven't owned one since.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Umm something seems to be missing here... WHERE'S THE VIDEO OF THIS BEAST IN ACTION??? I want a video goddam it, not a teaser photo. Its like getting a lap dance... good start but nothing on the finish, unless its a cheap asian place ... get some vids of this thing on the road... or more importantly off! What are you running for exhaust? You got me all wet over here... not finish me off... wait that came out wrong...

Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Yes.... What about cost? This sounds like a fun project. and do you have any other pics? Did you go with a beefy sounding exhaust system or use something suddle to help mask its true nature.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Could be an engine bay of apickup truckfor all we know? Great teaser. Seen these posts ealsewhere too. [&o]

PS. You can mod and tune an Alpha to rip you beast a new butt vent too for a whole lot less dough, and be able to sell it when you are done.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM

very true Doc, do those hideous wiper arms also come on the canyon and colorado? If not that could be the only thing left that says look at me im a hummer!!! Im a muscle car guy at heart and have alway loved a good engine swap... I did 3 on my first truck, an 82 S10 that I pro street'd went from a wimpy as all hell 1.4 4cyl to a 327 allum. vette motor, toa bored 350tpi, than the final 383 stroker with efi... ah, the youthful glory days of frivilous spending... of wait i never grew out of that ahaha! My H3 is a daily driver and I haven't had her but a few weeks now and already have spend another grand on her and after the holidays, when i have to give my play money to stupid friends and family members, j/k, Ill drop another 2k + on her lol... all just because I can't drive my trans am year round her in CT... good thing my vehicles combined get 30mpg... in my mind I can rationalize things better that way, its just best not to think about it hehe

Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM

DOC OLDS may be on to something. The thought of that powerful V8 makes my mouth water, but it could hurt the resale down the road if it ever came to that. But then again not many of us think about that when start stuff to our toys. I curtainly looks like an H3 engine bay, and check out all those wires connected to the battery,

Who ever did the work made it look nice, I'd drive it!.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Oni

thats an awesome swap

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Sorry I haven't responded in a while, I've been busy. You caught me. It's not a Hummer at all but an LS2 Colorado from the future. I jumped into my time machine and snapped a photo. That's why Doc has seen the photos on the net. Better yet, it's really a Corvette I dressed up as an H3 . It was hard to lift a Vette chassis to the height of a Hummer. I think it turned out well.

It turned out great. No one knows it's really a Z06

Seriously, it was done my Mike Mash in Wichita. He built his business doing Duramax's into H2's and then put those drivetrains into H3's. I've had a little more time to evaluate my H3 and it's a beast. It gets a combined 16-17 mpg so I haven't lost much if at all. It has a small electronic glitch in that the traction control doesn't work, but who cares? That would only limit my peel outs.

Can an Alpha be made to perform better than an LS2 for a lot less as Doc says? Well first of all, you have to get an Alpha, which costs more than my '06 Adventure package. I had a spare LS2 around the garage, so with labor and parts, it was a wash. With a head/cam swap and a good tune, you can come close to the power of an LS2, but you might lose torque. You would have a peaky engine that would get less gas mileage. Of course, you could always bore and stroke your 5.3, but then you end up with the same thing I have except you paid more for the Alpha package in the first place.

Yes, it could hurt resale value, but I've never sold a car I've owned, just gotten a bigger garage. Why would I sell a Vette disguised as a Hummer? Or a V8 Colorado from the year 2011, especially since GM may be dead by then. That has to be worth something

Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 AM

looks good! definately not a Colorado.. I would know!!, But a very close cousin to it!

Quick Reply: LS2 conversion...First impressions