PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Looking for a New 7.1 A/V Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Default Looking for a New 7.1 A/V Receiver

Hey all you audiophiles(HummerGuy)!!

So earlier I mentioned that my 70" Sony ONLY has 2 HDMI inputs in the back so I'm thinking of upgrading my 7.1 JVC Receiver to a new one with minimum 3 HDMI inputs!!

Question, I've heard 2 different views on attaching video through a receiver. One is that you get a better pic just going to the TV, the 2nd is that as long as you are using GOOD HDMI cables, there is NO DEGREDATION of video going through the receiver with digital??

Anyhoo, I don't want to spend $3000, and it needs to be Silver to match the rest of my system.

I'm thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR875. I've read that the REON HQV is THE BEST video processor out there, so I just need some expert opinions!!

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...-SR875&p=i

Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Looking for a New 7.1 A/V Receiver

Bastard [:@]

I LOVE that receiver. Without getting too technical, that is the SH@#.

Remember, HDMI is DIGITAL, which means either you get a signal or you don't. Analog signals and cables are the ones where the worse the cable is, the worse the picture is. Digital either is ON or OFF. There is no so-so quality when you have a digital signal. If the signal is poor, you will have absolutely no picture, or a garbled picture as using Satellite service.

Don't let people sucker you into buying those expensive $100 3 ft. long HDMI cables. The ones I use I bought off eBay, and they are just as good.

When it comes to recievers, my favorite brand has always been Onkyo. The main concern you have is the receiver's ability to pass the amount of bandwidth (big amounts of data) necessary to retransmit or pass through the digital signal from your source (DVD/Cable etc.) back out to your TV.

That receiver should do the trick, but go to www.avsforum.com and see what the true audiophiles have to say about it. That's where I go for all of my AV questions and advice. That is like the HummerForums of the home theater world.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM

I knew I could count on you!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. Those are just my opinions, but Onkyo to me has always offerred the most features for the money, and the sound quality is excellent. I doubt you'll regret it.

Have fun setting it up Good luck lol

Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Onkyo

Nakamichi

my two favorites after Sony....

You know the Nak's have 8.5 systems?

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM

Honestly with sony I think your just paying for the name and not a great system IMO

Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM

I hate to say it, but I agree with HG. I'm looking as well, but in a much lower price range.

Like you, I want HDMI switching with a minimum of 3 inputs and video upconversion...........

For cables, I'd recommend these guys: http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Absolutely no complaints on quality or delivery time. Frak Monster........

Keep us posted on your final choice.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Sony is a good brand but can be ocerpriced as in the sony bravia which is expensive and does not supply as good a picture as the sasung which is the same size and same or lower price....there blu ray is amazing though they are pushing it for people to think that it was the greatest thing ever made but with al this bs about copyright and how the dvds are so expensive that not many people want to buy $30 dvds

Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: GorillaH2

Sony is a good brand but can be ocerpriced as in the sony bravia which is expensive and does not supply as good a picture as the sasung which is the same size and same or lower price....there blu ray is amazing though they are pushing it for people to think that it was the greatest thing ever made but with al this bs about copyright and how the dvds are so expensive that not many people want to buy $30 dvds
I agree 100%.

Nakamichi is very good!

I heard about the 8.5 systems but didn't know they actually had them yet. I had real 7.1 in my old apt. but in my new house I have nowhere for the side speakers so i'm just running 5.1. Sometime this spring I'll be wiring the 6.1 rear center channel, but now a whole lot of DVD's are encoded with DTS-ES these days. It looks like everybody is moving to Dolby-EX because it's cheaper to license then DTS-ES I believe, since, you guessed it, DTS-ES is a braindchild of Sony, hence the movie theater signs saying "DTS by Sony" in the walkways.

Then you guys wonder why I hate Sony so much

Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

Hey all you audiophiles(HummerGuy)!!

So earlier I mentioned that my 70" Sony ONLY has 2 HDMI inputs in the back so I'm thinking of upgrading my 7.1 JVC Receiver to a new one with minimum 3 HDMI inputs!!

Question, I've heard 2 different views on attaching video through a receiver. One is that you get a better pic just going to the TV, the 2nd is that as long as you are using GOOD HDMI cables, there is NO DEGREDATION of video going through the receiver with digital??

Anyhoo, I don't want to spend $3000, and it needs to be Silver to match the rest of my system.

I'm thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR875. I've read that the REON HQV is THE BEST video processor out there, so I just need some expert opinions!!

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...-SR875&p=i

Thanks!!
I actually have the Onkyo TX-NR905. Has a few issues with audio and video delays (lag) when used for source switching and/or changing channels...so if you are a channel surfer beware.!! Have really not gotten used to that yet and probably will not. I had a Denon 5800 before (component only not HDMI) got hit by lightning and had to get a new one. Thought the 905 was the thing to get but really missing my Denon, have had the Sony ES line as well...but for my money Denon is the way to go. BTW, I have a 60" Sony SXRD TV, Comcast HD DVR, Direcv HD DVR and have the same problem with both sources. No fix in sight yet. I believe the 875 has the same issues, according to some on the forum, but cannot confirm personally. Really sad though because the 905 sounds and looks great (and you can get in silver).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=884772

Quick Reply: Looking for a New 7.1 A/V Receiver