PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at H3 have a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Default looking at H3 have a question

Hi everyone very nice site you have here,

we are looking at a 2006 H3 with 21000 miles, its the I I5 auto cloth and chrome, sunroof.

Actually we started by taking a H2 SUT just for a joy ride at a dealer, and found out WOW how nice these are! Also what the excitement is all about. Except the mpg, woh 12 for hwy but what do you expect for a 8000lb vehicle.

but for more practial use started looking at a H3, this used one has one problem that is troubling me, the right front tire has excessive wear. In that the outside of the tire is worn pretty bad the center soso and the inside is also worn.
I asked the salesman what his thoughts was and he repied possibly low tire inflation.

The other tire on front looked evenly worn. The back tires looked like they have never been on the front so no rotation has been done for the life of the vehicle and the spare was new.

So what do you guys think?, could it be that low it would have to pull pretty bad to the right wouldnt it for several thousand miles to get that much wear?
Or are we looking at a possible simple tire align, or maybe something more like a bent front end.

I would like to see an alignment printout on it

Oh it's suppose to be certified, but would that cover damage done by a previous owner,, maybe a chuck hole or off roading damage to the right front alignment.

anyway I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Oh is it me or do these have more wind noise above 65mph. this one seemed to but you drop back to 55 and the noise is considerably less, and a good ride, considering that this is intended for off road.

thanks
max

Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Default RE: looking at H3 have a question

Hi Max and welcome to the forums! The H3 are fun to drive. Mine has 41,000 miles and no wear like that what so ever on the front tires. If the tire was low, you would have thought the previous owner would have filled it up because there is a light that will come on your dash telling you your tires are low and that comes on if it goes down like 5lbs or so. Listening how you described it, it may be damage more than low air. Just my thought.

I would say to the saleperson if it was low air why didn't the light come on the dash.

There are plenty of other H3's for sale out there to pick from. I would say move on & look for another. Nothing like buying someone elses problems!

Good luck!!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:18 PM

If it was certified, I would believe it would have a good set of tires. It sounds a little fishy to me. Did you have the salesman pull the carfax? Again, if it is vertified, it should be clean. Talk to the salesman and have him let you take it for the weekend and have it checked out.

I agee that there are plenty of H3's out there. You can find H3s easily under 20 grand for an 06 and 07. Lamberts GM Pontiac in Cayuhoga Falls OH, near where I live, usually has several on the lot that they buy from Michigan. Check thier website for comparison shopping.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Yes, get a Carfax report! Isn't certified only through a Hummer Dealership? I was looking at a H2 SUT at a Chevy dealer and found out it couldn't be cert even though they were a GM dealership so I didn't buy it.

Also, you mentioned about the wind noise, yes, if it has the roof marker lights (yellow) they do make noise after 55mph, but there is a fix for it from Hummer. Mine made noise and now it has been fine for over 2 1/2 yrs. That should have been fixed from the first owner unless they never mentioned it to the Hummer service dept & just thought they had to live with it. lol

Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Something else to check is it in the Manufacture Range of the ones that may have the head and valve problem. Check sub-forum on how to check for this through the VIN number. On the tire issue, if something is not bent it is likely due to lack of rotation or an alignment problem. Even if you don't buy this particular H3, keep looking. They are a great vehicle.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM

BUY A JEEP!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Monument Hummer

SICK!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:40 AM

One thing you have to be careful of is the term "Certified". It can mean anything. My sister-in-law works for one of the large dealerships here, They have plenty of different lines (not Hummer unfortunately), and they do "factory" certifications. But, all it takes to say "certified" is run a checklist ofcommon issues.It can be a very short list, and as easy as that.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM

CarFax may not always report a problem. We sold my wifes Pontiac Sunfire7 years ago, 6 months after the interior took on some water from being parked in a parking lot that flooded in about 15 minutes. The water filled all 4 of the footwells inside and was just below the rocker. The dealer I took it to for repairs asked if the water had crested the bun cushion I said "no". He said if it had they would have considered it a total loss and our insurance would have paid us for the car.

Anyway, the replaced ALL of the carpeting and ALL of the underseat modules. It smelled new when we got it back and everything worked fine - even up the the day we sold it. We sold it to a guy who was buying it for his daughter and told him what had happened and gave him all of the repair receipts from the chevy dealer that fixed the water damage. He showed me the carfax report and it said NOTHING about water damage. This has put a damper on how much I trust CarFax. He bought the vehicle anyway and even emailed me a year later letting me know it was still running fine. It was a '97 Sunfire SE with the GT motor that was sold in 2001 with 15,000 miles on it he was pretty happy to get it.

I did pull a fast on on Yahoo when trying to sell it. I got a free add that included one line of text. In that line of text I phonetically spelled out the URL to a FREE geocities page I had set up with over 15 pics of the car. The add cost me NOTHING and I played by the rules.

Long story short - I don't trust carfax very much.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM

BTW it turned out that his daughter was a twin (she had a sister)....they were getting the car to commute back and forth to college for their junior year. And YES, they were very HOT (and I say this at risk of being considered a perv [8D]). I was there when they stopped back to pick up the car and all my wife could do was laugh at me. Hey, at least they were 20 yrs old (I was 32 at the time).

Hey - it's snowing outside YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let is snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: looking at H3 have a question