PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of MPG imprvments

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Default List of MPG imprvments

A full size Suburban get lots better MPG (18-21) with the same engine/trany and weighs more, why do the H2's get such bad MPG? AWD vs 4x2 on a 4x4 suburban... or ????

I am compiling a list of things that can help the MPG. These are things known to work, not advertisements.

Please add to this list anything you have done to help improve your MPG.
These are things beyond normal driving tips like tire pressure, regular maintenance, reducing weight, removing rear luggage rack or not having anything hanging on top of or out of the H2 to driving slower.

Here is what I have so far:
1) Change to a free flow air cleaner, cold air intake, K&N or equivalent.
2) Change to all synthetic oils in all running gear.
3) Free flow exhaust, Cat back to Cat replacement and full exhaust.
4) Headers, with full free flow exhaust to include a free flow cat..
5) Replace mechanical fan with Electric Fan.
6) Super Charger
7) Engine (programmer’s) turner, if you know how to do it.
8) E-3 spark plugs. (http://www.e-3sparkplugs.com/)

Things not tried, don't think they work:
1) Magnetic fuel savers
2) Intake vortex generators (I did try this in my Dodge Diesel and a Jeep Liberty, NO help at all.
3) Hydrogen generators
4) Air tabs or spoilers
I am not trying to get my H2 to match my Honda for MPG, but I just don't think I need to waste any either.

What have you done?

Bob

Old 12-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned
Default lots of money to save gas?

ive been wondering if even a k-n ever pays off??? but all the other stuff probably costs as much as my used 07!!!

i pump up rubber and cruise and enjoy the drive!

the price of gas savers will buy a lot af gas!!

tom

Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM

i am not looking at pay back as most the MPG improvements also get you better performance.

I am just trying to compile a list of what people have done to help MPG then share the info with everyone.

I think we should be able to get the same or better MPG than a full size 4 door, 4x4 suburban, not 5-8 mpg less.

Maybe there is a way to unhook the AWD so we can have only rear wheel and AW when we want it.

Bob

Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM

How about slow down....

The biggest MPG savings can be had by driver habits and not having a lead foot.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 PM

I have ALWAYS had a lead foot... My driving record reflects this. HOWEVER, I have my Kawasaki for that. I now am in a vehicle that I have NO DESIRE to haul *** in. Goin back to the FU thread. I LOVE ATTENTION & that includes that negative crap! LOL. SO, having said that, I am CONSTANTLY aware of my RPM's more than anything else due to IF I hit or get hit, the mass of my WONDERFUL new baby will devide & conquer! LOL. SO I agree with the idea of mods.... Making efforts in your driving habits will make a difference but only so much! I am sitting around 12 mpg. I'm not excited bout that persey.... It's just an incurred cost of owning something I REALLY wanted/LOVE

Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 AM

I have a H3, and the MPG gets worse everyday. i dont care, i love the vehicle.... i knew what i was getting and i wasnt expecting a fuel efficient peace lilly. but just saying, the MPG seems to get worse every tank....

like some days i can literally see the gauge arrow move down..through my journey to the city and back, which isnt really that far. about half n hour. and 80% of that is straight on the motorway.

quite amazing, considering a Dual turbo BMW V12 uses less than my 3.7L IL5

that said. i would still recommend this engine and vehicle to anyone... i would have it over that BMW V12, the slogan Like.Nothing.Else is pretty much the only slogan ever created which goes well with what its for.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM

I have a H3T with a manual tranny... I recently went on a 3000km (1875 miles) trip & recorded an average of 10.7L/100 (22MPG) for the entire trip; I couldn't be happier with the mileage

I also have a 102L (27 Gal) tank so I have a pretty killer range.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 PM

I completely agree kind sir!!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Default MPG list

I was not looking for tips, but Mods.

I have had larger, heaver vehicles that get better MPG. Dodge dually. I got better MPG even towing a trailer. Full size ford van, even a ford 32' motor home. Even Chevy's own Suburban 4X4 gets better MPG with the same engine and trany, why?

It maybe that no one has looked at increasing their MPG and thats OK, I was just curious.

I got my H2 knowing its MPG was bad but do not care, but still I would like to know what others have done (mods) to improve thier MPG, if any.

Bob

Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 PM

While surfing net to get data related to projects of i came here and find this web an interesting one...i found useful information at here...There are certainly many different posts at here...And this one also seems to me different one!

Quick Reply: List of MPG imprvments