PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just Got my H3 Woa! Need backup camera kit HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Just Got my H3 Woa! Need backup camera kit HELP!

I'm all for choosing a system that works best for YOU. As mentioned before, I believe that a system that WARNS you (idiot proof), is absolutely the way to go. The bumper hitch sensors look like a great solution. Same principle as mine. I probably would have purchased the hitch sensors if I would have seen it earlier.

IMO- No downside if you try the hitch sensors. It definitely looks plug-and-play. If you don't like it, package it back up and re-sell or return it then go to Plan B.

If you decide to go the CrimeStopper route, I saw them on eBay for around $53.00. It does come with a hole saw for the sensors. Sensors fit snug in the hole, but I used a little clear construction adhesive. The control module measures approx 3x2x.75. I mounted it inside the bumper (it's weatherproof). I popped the backup lens and tapped into the backup light wiring. Then I snaked the LED readout wire underneath the interior side molding up to and underneath the dash. 1.5 hours total. No big deal.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 PM

Then I snaked the LED readout wire underneath the interior side molding up to and underneath the dash.

Which wire did you tap into for the LED readout ?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 AM

ORIGINAL: bonzaiii

Then I snaked the LED readout wire underneath the interior side molding up to and underneath the dash.

LED readout has a 50' lead and is powered from the control module. The only tap is from the control module power leads into one of the backup lights. There is also a little pizzo speaker (warning beeper) with about a 8' lead that I mounted just inside the rear cargo area.

CrimeStopper User's Manual

Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM

Fin, THANKS SO MUCH for all your help in pics and descriptions. You have been most helpful! I may consider this option and soon. I do survey my surroundings now before I even get into my H3 to back out after that embarrassing mishap...and of course "I'm an excellent driver" (and Kmart sucks too) LOL! [8D]

Old 12-08-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: finskeeper

ORIGINAL: bonzaiii

LED readout has a 50' lead and is powered from the control module. The only tap is from the control module power leads into one of the backup lights. There is also a little pizzo speaker (warning beeper) with about a 8' lead that I mounted just inside the rear cargo area.
Ah I see. The system I have is wireless so I need to power Both the camera in back and the monitor in front. I'm mounting it on the dash to the very left next to the drivers door. Does anyone have a suggestions as to the best/simplest source to tap into from under the dash?

Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM

http://themobilevideostore.com/index...1a96de80891a47

Old 12-08-2006, 05:00 PM

http://zalmar.com/detail-CarElectron...deo-HCUC_1.htm

I installed (actually Best Buy installed it for $150.00) in the plastic area above the license plate. to the right of the license plate light. The monitor was mounted in-line with the rear view mirror at dash level. It works really well and gives a really nice color view of everything behind you.

Zalmar.com was by far the best price I could find. I chose the UniCam so I could choose where to mount it. The hitch cam or license cam would be as good, and cheaper to install, but costs more to buy.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 PM

http://www.myvirtualzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=14027

Old 12-25-2006, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: jbb6811

i found mine on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-W...spagenameZWDVW
I bought this as it looks like it may be a good product. However, upon opening the box I found a major deal breaker. The hitchstep is NOT AS PICTURED. It appears they have changed the design to include a LARGE TACKY white name plate advertising their name brand. The one on the website is nice and subtile. I didn't bargin to be a rolling billboard for "Sonarstep". I figure you got to pay me not me pay you to advertisethis product. I didn't even let the dealer put his stickers on my Truck.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the great picture of the sensor placement. I just got a set of 6 sensors from

2 for the front and 4 for the rear. When you plugged into the backup lights where did you do it and to which wire? I saw a message that mentioned the manual (p4-69) mentions the trailer hookups having a Light Green wire for the Backup lights. I was thinking about using this for the pwr but originally thought I should use a pwr wire near the backup lights. Just not sure how to go about finding it. I'm planning on messing around with it tomorrow. Please let me know how you hooked up your system to power the sensor when in reverse only. Thanks for the info.

Jimmy V

Quick Reply: Just Got my H3 Woa! Need backup camera kit HELP!