PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first hummer!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Talking Just bought my first hummer!!

Hello All,

Well, I just bought a H3 Alpha and it should be delivered to me in a few days..I want to get a little more power out of the V8 so I was wondering what parts you guys would suggest.

Ive seen a few different exhaust systems available ranging in prices. The least expensive Ive seen so far is the Gibson, and then it goes up from there to the borla and I think I saw a magnaflow also. As intakes go, Ive only seen the K&N, are there any others available? Also, what about ECU chips? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to being a part of this forum for years to come

Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Hello and Welcome from MI! What year? Mileage? Options? Post up some pix when your Alpha arrives!

As far as your questions are concerned, please use the "SEARCH" function (in RED above). Please read the Threads, there have been many Threads on these particualr subjects and if you have questions after doing some research post them up!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Hello and Welcome from MI! What year? Mileage? Options? Post up some pix when your Alpha arrives!

As far as your questions are concerned, please use the "SEARCH" function (in RED above). Please read the Threads, there have been many Threads on these particualr subjects and if you have questions after doing some research post them up!
I got a 2008 black with black leather interior with 38k miles w/Nav..I'll try using the search again..I had some issues navigating the site but I'll give it another shot..thanks for the reply, I'll def post some pics up whe I get it...cant wait!!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

well after doing a little research, my intake options are between the AirDoc and the K&N. From what Ive read, the main benefit of AirDoc over the K&N is that the AirDoc is better for offroading and its price..I dont placed on goung off road so I'm leaning towards the K&N.

For the tune I'm probally gonna go with superchips..theyve been around for a while so I feel comfortable going with them. The exhaust is still undecided for me..Gibson seems least expensive and I dont know if I can justify spending the extra money for a Magnaflow or Borla without any additional HP gains..

If im wrong please feel free to correct me..thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM

The Airdoc is better for All applications.

There are serious advantages with the closed design of the Airdoc, mainly that it draws cooler outside air into the engine.
The open types like the K&N draw heated engine compartment air in. That equates to less power.

The open types may look cooler when you pop the hood but performance is not as good as the closed systems.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks for doing a search! The Superchips is in my opinion the best on the market right now for the H3 Alpha, have a Cortex and love it. I also have the AirDoc intake on both our HUMMERs and I have to agree with Bunger, about the advantages of a closed air system that draws outside air.

No exhaust done here.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Welcome and Congrats on the Hummer. I 3rd the enclosed airbox for a few reasons. Glad you found us though. I'm a fan of magnaflow. but I have had a gibson before and liked that too. Eotherway that engine sounds good.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM

ok so Im definetly going with the AirDoc system and most likely the gibson exhaust just because it less expensive than anything else and has similar power gains as the other systems...

one thing im still confused about though is the differenct superchips..i see theres the cortex, the flashpack, and the vivid..not sure what the difference is besided the extra vin capability with the cortex..im gonna try and call superchips later today if i get some time and find out

Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Not sure about the Vivid.

The difference between the Cortex and Flashpaq is that the Cortex can program more than 1 GM Gas vehicle (for a nominal fee) where as the Flashpaq can only program 1.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned
Default .I want to get a little more power out of the V8

i would encourage you to drive your new h3 a day or two and get a feel for the stock power,stab the gas and see how long you can keep it floored,see if you can do some power slides ,sideways like they do in the car commercials.
realize that you cannot ever n0r will not ever need the stock power other than weekends at the drag strip!!

btw the traction control/stability control takes all the fun out of using all the power of even the lowly,lazy i5. its hard to make sliding commercials,try it at walmart after hours!

i drive to west pa 3 times a year and even in the hills i can never use the i5 power. when i push the gas,it goes faster up hill or down so any money spent on intake mods would fit nicely in the gas tank! youll never need or use the tiny power increase,if any at all

hey,but its fun bolting stuff on,have at if and have fun. no off road huh?

Quick Reply: Just bought my first hummer!!