PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the SIR-GM1 in a 07 H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Default Installing the SIR-GM1 in a 07 H3

I know this isn't the only way to do it or the best way to do this but this is how I installed the SIR-GM1 module (to convert XM to Sirius) in my wife's H3. A few things to know before you get started. Her XM module was behind her glove box but some say its behind their radio (her OnStar was there). If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the "XM to Sirius antenna coverter" to save some hassle. I read that you could remove the tan plastic that surrounds the XM antenna connector and plug in into the Sirius module (which you could) but the metal was very brittle and broke apart while I was test fitting it. So here it goes:

Removing the face plate. Insert fingers, lift up a little bit on them and pull out.

Once that is off find your XM module and remove the plug (in red) and the antenna (if you want to reuse the XM antenna (in green))

Name:  hm_radio003.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  51.7 KB

Now since I blew apart the factory XM antenna wire with my ham hands I had to run the Sirius antenna so this is how I did it. This is where I mounted it on her roof the green arrow shows the front of the vehicle. I ran the cable under the plastic (more to come on that):

Name:  hm_radio004.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  37.3 KB

Here the green dotted line shows where I ran the antenna cable under all the plastic that lines the windshield and down into the hood area:
Name:  hm_radio005.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  30.1 KB
Name:  hm_radio006.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  42.5 KB
Name:  hm_radio007.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  56.0 KB

Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Default RE: Installing the SIR-GM1 in a 07 H3

Nice Detailed Install!!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Now inside the truck find the hood release cable and follow it back into the firewall. There is a gommet there that you can wiggle, pull, and remove from the firewall to run the antenna through. Here it is circled in red, in this picture you can see I all ready replaced my grommet and my cable is already run.
Name:  hm_radio002.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  66.9 KB

Now from the engine compartment you can see where to run it, again circled in red:
Name:  hm_radio001.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  52.6 KB

Once the cable is inside the truck I ran it over the steering column and into the radio area (not pictured). I then mounted the SIR-GM1 module, it fits real well on the duct work for the heater/AC. I used thick double sided tape and a few screws. You can also see the cable hookups in this picture.
Name:  hm_radio008.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  71.5 KB

reinstall the radio (you can see the SIR-GM1 module peeking out behind the radio)
Name:  hm_radio009.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  59.0 KB

Put the face plate back on and enjoy your jams:
Name:  hm_radio011.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  83.3 KB

Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 AM

How well does it sound?.....I already have a sirius subscription that i had on another vehicle. Now my H3 didnt come with the XM but they say thell install it this week. Should i do this or just get the module and have it like you did it here?.....Any help would be great....THANKS

Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

wz56km: Nice jod and kudos in the install detail pics!!!!! Bravo. This should help others doing the same conversion big time! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM

Very good write up wz56, very detailed. One thing you should be aware of though .. the prefered antenna placement is on the back part of the roof. It requires a little bit more work, like taking some additional interior panels off, roof liner, a-pillar trim and so forth. I doubt you will see much of a difference with your location though. For what it's worth I ran mine in from the back on my H2. Through the 3rd brake light access hole, above the roof liner and down the passanger side a-pillar, under the dash, and up to my tuner. Then of course I didn't remember to take in the slack so when I was all done and I went to close the flippin' rear hatch the cable was in the way and I promptlycut the !@#%$!@#$!@#$!@#$ thing straight through ... now I have my antenna sitting on the very front of my dash, mushed up against the windshield ... I about broke my sorry sad self in half installing the first one ... I'm NOT doing it again any time soon .. besides .. it works pretty damn good even sitting on the dash.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 PM

That would be cool to have either XM or Sirius, but Guam doesn't have it. [:@]

Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Can you run the antenna wire through the already existing atenna? forgive me for my ignorance...but i am wanting to do this and the local audio store said that they didnt know if it could be done or not and the dealership said the same thing. i would not like to have 2 antennas up there

Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Default Awesome Installation guide!

I Have an 09 H3 with the 6cd changer, but it came with a sat delete!!! So i have been told from gm i couldn't add it and sat (xm or sirius)... but your pics were influencing!! I ordered the sr-gm1 just because i saw your pics that it was installed with the same radio... In about two hours and looking at your pics it was working and installed just like yours!

Thanks for the installation guide with pic's! I am calling it an installation guide because it told me more then the supplied guide!

For those who are scared to do this on there own, dont be! it was very easy i just took my time and it took me about two hours.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Default Installing the SIR GM1 in a 07 H3

so basically you put the postive of both your subs into one postive of your amp and both of your negative from the two subs into one negative on your amp?