PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing roof marker lights,, advice needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Default Installing roof marker lights,, advice needed please.

So Im thinkin Im guna have roof marker lights installed on the front and back.
I have found about a billion places online to get lights that I like (guna go with LED I think) so finding/buying lights is no problem.

What I need to know is how hard is it to get into the front headliner or the front piller to do the install and also how hard or easy is it to get the back door panel off and back on to do the install and or is that what needs to be done.
I think I also read that their are wires already ran inside the front area above the windsheild,,, true or false ????

Im not going to do the work myself, I was going to shop around for a reputable place to do the work for me,, but then again if its to labor intensive or its easy to screw up the install, am I better of going the Hummer dealership to have them do the install (although I know the Hummer dealership would probably charge about 5 times more than than anyone else).

So I guess my main question would be is the install so much of a pain that I need to take it to the Hummer dealership to make sure its done right or should any good reputable shop be able to do it with no problems. (front and back lights)

Thanks much in advance.
Davyo

Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Default RE: Installing roof marker lights,, advice needed please.

The thing you need to look at when shopping around for the installation of aftermarket parts is the shop rate, or the amount they charge per hour. Any reputable shop that does that kind of work can do it, and only the work, or problems resulting from that work will be covered by any warranty that the installation shop offers on thier work. Since you are installing aftermarket lights, the dealer can do the work, but these lights will not be covered under your factory warranty.
So basically, what you need to do is find out what the dealer hourly rate is and compare that to any place else you are considering having the work done. I am sure you will find the dealer rate to be comparable to others. Then look at how well each shop will stand behind their work, and for how long. It might not be a bad idea to ask how long they think it will take to wire in all of the lights when shopping for rates. Keep in mind that the times are going to be guestimates and can be off by a lot because of unforseen complications. The dealership's guestimate would probably be the most accurate since they know the vehicle. Also, they have parts, such as factory light switches, fuse box clips, and the like on hand to make the install look more factory.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:11 AM

Thanks Linus,, you mentioned some valid points.

Davyo

Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Heres mine installed on the back. took about 90 minutes from start to finish:

[IMG]local://upfiles/1302/C19FA408F3A54342B81BC359D0D88BC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM

The lights look good. has that "factory" look.Name:  clap.gif
Views: 161
Size:  1.9 KB

However, the tire not being on straight could make me lose sleep at night.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Thanks, was actually quite easy once I got over drilling into the tailgate. Placed layer of duct tape on tailgate, layed out light centers then taped light mounting base in place, took drill bit just small enough to fit in mount screw hit and made mark on duct tape. Center punched duct tape transferring mark to tail gate, drill mounting holes for self taping screws, drill hole for wiring and installed rubber gromet, install light mounting bases with bead of silicone and stainless steel screws, routed wiring as required and tapped into trailer wiring harness, brown wire, for power. Repeat total of five times and done I was....[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 11-14-2006, 01:21 AM

ORIGINAL: SR1355

Thanks, was actually quite easy once I got over drilling into the tailgate. Placed layer of duct tape on tailgate, layed out light centers then taped light mounting base in place, took drill bit just small enough to fit in mount screw hit and made mark on duct tape. Center punched duct tape transferring mark to tail gate, drill mounting holes for self taping screws, drill hole for wiring and installed rubber gromet, install light mounting bases with bead of silicone and stainless steel screws, routed wiring as required and tapped into trailer wiring harness, brown wire, for power. Repeat total of five times and done I was....[sm=burnout.gif]
nice job! hey do you have a pic of that wilderness roof rack...i was thinking of getting one. thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 AM

NOPE NOPE I will not do it!!! I cannot drill into the body...just can't bring myself to do it....NOPE!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SR1355

Heres mine installed on the back. took about 90 minutes from start to finish:

[IMG]local://upfiles/1302/C19FA408F3A54342B81BC359D0D88BC7.jpg[/IMG]
Looks AWESOME!!!Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 144
Size:  3.2 KB

But I'm with blackstang.....MUST.....STRAIGHTEN....TIRE Name:  hypnotised.gif
Views: 156
Size:  7.6 KB

Yeah, I have a little bit of OCD!Name:  smokelots.gif
Views: 154
Size:  17.5 KB SO!!