PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Sirius to Stock In Dash changer (03)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Default Installed Sirius to Stock In Dash changer (03)

Ok, for those looking to either: ditch XM -or- add sirius sattelite radio altogether - it is confirmed to be possible, and rather easy. The 'kit' is the SIR-GM1 (I just bought it from Circuit City for 82.99 with a $30 rebate, so net will be $52.99... in about a month and a half when they send me the check).

Anyway, specifics: 2003 H2 with Factory in dash 6cd changer and Bose (Y91) sound system option.

The kit is a direct plug and play type kit, only 2 wires need splicing (or soldering if you like) - a power wire and a ground. Everything else is just harness. The kit has 2 types of wiring harnesses, 1 for those without factory XM (like me), and another for those WITH factory XM (note if you have XM the install will be much easier as you just need to remove the lower bolts from the glove box, remove the glove box door, and the XM unit is right there).

For those without, you must remove the center console, to include shift handle, then the center trim around the radio, HVAC controls- following this, remove the 3 screws and pull out the factory radio. Then, install the 'T' harness, figure out where you want the extra wires, splice into the 12v and find a chassis ground, and reassemble. Directions are included for general installation, but what you really need is a illustrated manual to see how to remove the center console, etc with no guess work (unlike me...). I found one online the other day and will post it here later.

Anyway, after this, plug the harness into the sirius 'box' (I mounted mine in the cavity that is above the glove box area, clear of the airbag) and antenna and you are done. For me, I have a manik rear roof rack with spare tire, as well as the factory roof rails- with 4 PIAAs on the front, so I mounted my antenna on the passenger side, perpendicular to forward motion, near the sunroof. I had to trim the plastic wire hider a little, but that was no big deal. Then, I ran the wire under the black part of the roof rail track, and into the passenger side roof marker light for access to the inside. From there, the ole string and coathanger (after removing the pass side 'Oh $xxx' handle to pull the headliner down slightly) allowed me to 'fish' the wire in, where I ultimately ran it down the pass side pillar and under the dash.

Difficulty level is not extremely high, but it is slightly frustrating...

If there is enough (any) interest I will get some pictures (though the best I can do is my antenna placement, where I ran the wires thru, and location of the actual tuner box... because I'm not going to tear it apart and 'do it again' for the paparazzi

Cheers.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Installed Sirius to Stock In Dash changer (03)

ok, found the directions for the center console removal but I am not setup for online photos just yet. If you want them now, just email me- otherwise I will post them shortly.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I ran my aftermarket XM antenna through the right clearance light, dropped the headliner a little and fed the antenna wires next to the FM antenna wire.... easy as pie.....

Old 09-29-2007, 09:17 AM

sounds like alot of fun