PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Install Grille Guard: Do I need a toque Wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Default Install Grille Guard: Do I need a toque Wrench?

Just got a genuine GM grille guard for my 08 H3 last weekend. The instruction sheet says I need a toque wrench, 24 mm socket/wrench, 18 mm socket/wrench to do the installations.

What I do have are just a 18 mm socket and an adjustable wrench. Should I purchase all other tools? It won't cost too much for socket/wrench, but the torque wrench seems not cheep. Do I really need to measure the torque, otherwise it gonna damage the parts/vechicle, as the instruction says?

BTW, have you felt any drop on MPG after the grille guard was installed? I kept on logging my mpg and I got around 16.5-17 average with the V8. Just curious.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM

In my opinion, you dont need a torque wrench. I put mine on without one and its fine. I believe the 24mm is for the tow hooks if I remember correctly, so the adjustable should work but you will need another wrench to hold the bolt head while loosening the nut. Not sure if it effects mpg.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned
Default to tork or not!

not for this job,just tight+

if u mess with tire rotation you otta have a t wrench,,get it later

tom

Old 09-27-2010, 02:21 PM

A side note on the durability of the brush guards. I wondered how strong they are and unfortunatly found out today. Stupid situation and I'll spare the details (no one hurt) but I hit an Explorer in the rear today at about 25 mph. It completely peeled his bumper down about 90 degrees and mangled it in the process. The brush guard, however, performed beautifully. It is for sure bent, dented, and sits a few degrees to one side but took ALL of the impact and the vehicle itself only has 1 scratch on the grill where the guard made impact. The $100 I bought it for probably prevented a couple thousand in damage today.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

Good to hear on the OEM brush guard durability. Did you see my thread a bit back where I pulled up an H3 from ebay that rolled like 8 times and was mangled, but the brush guard was still in pretty good (albeit bent) shape? Pretty impressive.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 PM

Hey guys. Finally got right tools and installed the grille guard. I'm surprised how seamless the OEM grille guard fits the grille. There is only like half-a-inch or less space between the guard and grille. Very compact!

I'd like to do my contributions. So I list the tools I used FYI.
24mm socket (install/remove the bolts holding the D rings)
18mm socket (install/remove the bolts holding the braces)
one adjustable wrench
one T30 torx screwdriver/bit (remove the star screw in the middle of the brace)

Unfortunatelly, I couldn't insert the torx screw back after I put on the guard. I did some research on the forum and it seems normal.

Thanks again guys.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shale
Hey guys. Finally got right tools and installed the grille guard. I'm surprised how seamless the OEM grille guard fits the grille. There is only like half-a-inch or less space between the guard and grille. Very compact!

I'd like to do my contributions. So I list the tools I used FYI.
24mm socket (install/remove the bolts holding the D rings)
18mm socket (install/remove the bolts holding the braces)
one adjustable wrench
one T30 torx screwdriver/bit (remove the star screw in the middle of the brace)

Unfortunatelly, I couldn't insert the torx screw back after I put on the guard. I did some research on the forum and it seems normal.

Thanks again guys.
Yeah I just got a westin brush guard and put it on this weekend and when I put the guard on one of the torx screws went back in the other did not. I just took them both out and I actually forgot to store them I think one of these is still on my driveway somewhere.