Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Increase clearance between CAI and coil pack (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/increase-clearance-between-cai-coil-pack-23570/)

Widespread Hummer 03-30-2011 06:22 PM

Increase clearance between CAI and coil pack

1 Attachment(s)
A number of people with the Spectre style intake have noted the lack of clearance between the coil pack and straight pipe. While looking at mine today, I looked a little farther down the system and found that by raising the forward "foot" of the filter box it lifts the CAI enough to take the pressure off the coil pack. I grabbed the nearest thing I could use as a wedge, which happened to be a golf tee, that you can see in the picture below. Tomorrow I am going to figure out a proper bushing to put under the rubber bushing in place on the mounting bracket. Hope this helps a few.

wfturner 03-30-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer (Post 247113)
A number of people with the Spectre style intake have noted the lack of clearance between the coil pack and straight pipe. While looking at mine today, I looked a little farther down the system and found that by raising the forward "foot" of the filter box it lifts the CAI enough to take the pressure off the coil pack. I grabbed the nearest thing I could use as a wedge, which happened to be a golf tee, that you can see in the picture below. Tomorrow I am going to figure out a proper bushing to put under the rubber bushing in place on the mounting bracket. Hope this helps a few.

The DocOlds CAI has a small dimple to clear the coil pack. You may want to try that rather than move your air box, your choice.

Widespread Hummer 03-31-2011 03:54 AM

Ideally, I should have just bought the AIRDOC but what I am dealing with is ABS, so I am only going to know I've gone too far once I've gone too far. I could patch if it went through but i'd rather not. What I did will only raise the box about 1/4" at the mounting point which translates to about 1 mm of movement of the CAI overall. I will have to make sure that doesn't cause a fitment issue at the rubber boots, but I think it should be fine. It really is only relieving the pressure on the coil pack from the straight tube to eliminate any rubbing.

wfturner 03-31-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer (Post 247146)
Ideally, I should have just bought the AIRDOC but what I am dealing with is ABS, so I am only going to know I've gone too far once I've gone too far. I could patch if it went through but i'd rather not. What I did will only raise the box about 1/4" at the mounting point which translates to about 1 mm of movement of the CAI overall. I will have to make sure that doesn't cause a fitment issue at the rubber boots, but I think it should be fine. It really is only relieving the pressure on the coil pack from the straight tube to eliminate any rubbing.

If you have a heat gun you could dimple the ABS where the coil pack meets the tube.
Tricky but possible
Good luck, it sounds like you have it figured out