PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If/When Hummer comes out with a V8......

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Default If/When Hummer comes out with a V8......

There has been ramblings of Hummer coming out with a V8 H3. If Hummer decides to produce a V8 H3, how many of you would trade your 5 cyl H3in for a new V8 H3 provided there's not a drastic reduction in fuel economy?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Default RE: If/When Hummer comes out with a V8......

I could trade in for a v12 with a supercharger and not get drastically worse mileage...

Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 PM

I am no longer willing to drop below 15/20. My days of gas guzzlers is over, especially with the off-road capabilities they're putting into smaller vehicles now. Even if I had the money in my pocket, I'd turn my nose up at an H1.

Besides, the H3's 3.5L I-5 actually produces MORE horsepower and slightly less torque than Jeep's 4.7L V-8. The H3 has plenty of power, it's just that heavy. No matter how efficient the engine, it just takes a certain amount of fuel to move a certain amount of weight down the road. Nearly every mid-sized SUV on the market averages around 15/20.

I am currently driving a 4-cyl, 2.5L Jeep Wrangler (which I'm replacing with an H3). Trust me - I know what gutless is, and the H3 ain't.

Something to consider: I just looked to the right side of my screen and saw the advertising. Look what it led me to:

http://www.turbo-kits.com/h3_turbo_kits.html

Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Down the road, if I'm looking to replace my H3, I'd probably get a V8 if available. But I wouldn't trade mine in just to get one.

I'd also expect the MPG to be pretty comparable to the I-5 when the V8 comes out.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:43 AM
JM

Well, under 'usual' ( city/higway) driving conditions, I partially agree with you.
The H3 has enough power but, in my opinion, not enough torque ( which is understandable for a 5 cyl. petrol engine).
but,
Try driving it heavily loaded or towing a horse trailer[:@].
All in all, I think a V6 diesel CRI or a V8 petrol with a 5 speed gearbox should make the H3 a perfect car.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:49 AM

It certainly would, but unfortunately, diesel fuel has skyrocketed compared to gas. I can't remember if it was an H3 or a Jeep I was reading about, but a deisel is planned for it. One problem - it's only going to be sold in europe because there's absolutely no market for it here in the US. Jeep even disconinued the deisel Jeep Liberty because nobody was buying them.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:18 AM

I had an H2, which obviously had the big V8. I'm not willing to get 10 mpg again just to have a bit more horsepower. What Hummer should really do is provide a V6option on the H3s. Ithink the extra horsepower and torque from a "good" V6 would make the little truck a dream to drive and not affect gas mileage that drastically. I also wish they had tossed in a few morecomfortextras.

Hey, BTW... does anyone know why the H3 doesn't have an ash tray. I don't smoke, but I did noticed they had omitted the ashtrays. Any backroom rumbling about that?

FDT

Old 01-19-2007, 06:08 AM
JM

Yes, the diesel is going to be built in the new South African plant.
BUT it's going to be a third rate ISUZU[:'(].

let's dream about an H3 with the VW v10 diesel (310 hp 22mpg!!!).

Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Mr_Fulano
Hey, BTW... does anyone know why the H3 doesn't have an ash tray. I don't smoke, but I did noticed they had omitted the ashtrays. Any backroom rumbling about that?

FDT
This is a question I specifically asked my salesman when purchasing my H3...I never used mine in my other vehicles, but I like to put junk in them LOL and I noticed it's lack ofimmediately. His response was basically that "it just goes along with the push for "no smoking" and Hummer did not feel we needed ashtrays." LOL

Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 AM

The only way I'd compromise my gas mileage and trade up to V8 is if I find out that it cannot pull that boat I plan to own one day after I sock away some more of those commission checks! (Frankly, I don't think either of the 2SUV's I seriously contemplated before the H3 came out would have done any better or as well a job doing so either withthe V6 they hadin them) Otherwise, I find I have plenty of power...the V6 might be more appealing tho.

Quick Reply: If/When Hummer comes out with a V8......