PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have a question about my intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Exclamation I Have a question about my intake and exhaust

I have a 06 H3, the engine light came on shortly after i bought it, took it to the dealer and they basically said it was because of the K&N air intake it has is hurting the engine and the gas mileage. They recommend putting the factory air intake back in which i have. so that's what im going to do however im sitting here reading over the receipt from when the previous owner had the k&N air take put it in and i see they also had a flowmaster muffler installed. will this be ok with my factory air intake im about to put back in? the guys at dealership didnt say anything about it i forgot to ask and they r closed on weekend i don't know much about cars please help- thanks

Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Was that on the hummer when you bought it from the dealer,Go to the kn website and search the warranty,And they will prove or fight with the dealer. They dont hurt your engine. Only if you put to much oil on the filter, that can mess with the sensors and can ruin them. Millions of cars trucks have them with no problem. Buy a cleaning kit and follow the direction use the oil as it says a little goes a long way,and clean your throttle body with throttle body cleaner,and you can run the stock filter with your flowmaster

Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Yeah the K&N system was put on at 32k miles i bought it at 64k, only the original owner has access to the warrant, im just goin t put the stock intake back in.
--thanks for answering

Old 10-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

MOVED to the H3 section and out of the Drivetrain Area that says: "This section is an archive of older posts, please post new questions in the specific model section. Thank you!"

You would need to provide what code was associated with the engine light for anyone here to be able to provide a useful response.

Highly likely that your dealer is full of crap.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM

I thought I posted to air intakes/ exhuast forums I saw other similiar questions so I thought I was in right place, whatever . My questions was can I use a flowmaster muffler with my stock air intake . It was answerd . Aind not only the dealer but the mechanic I took it to ran tests and said k N air intakes don't work well on H3 he explained how's its damaging engine . And why , anyways questions was answered thanks

Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM

My guess is yes the stock air intake and exhaust will be fine.
On a side note it is more likely your H3 needs a good cleaning of maf and tb +filter and
Obdii reset.
Chris

Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM

either the MAF sensor plug not connected properly

or the MAF sensor Got messed up with oil from the K&N filter ( too much oil applied or installed before drying completely )

either way it's not dangerous to the car to drive it without MAF the car has some sort of air flow table that is close to real life (some cars will not run without MAF it'll stall immediately, I am not 100% sure )

good luck

Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
My guess is yes the stock air intake and exhaust will be fine.
On a side note it is more likely your H3 needs a good cleaning of maf and tb +filter and
Obdii reset.
Chris

please only use MAF cleaner on the MAF Sensor

if not specifically available electrical cleaner (without oil) the one that dries immediately is fine aswell but it's too harsh on rubber and plastic so try to avoid spraying directly on rubber and plastics

I've used wd40 on the TB it was fine the car idled and ran terribly for a while while the idle resets ( TB was removed from the car and thoroughly cleaned )

good luck

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Put on the OEM intake and buy an AFE Pro Dry filter (no oil to deal with). Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner (CRC makes some good stuff). Remove and clean the entire throttle body with carb and choke cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Put everything back together and see if your idle is normal.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 PM

first of all, I know for certain the k&n will not cause the rough idle. I used to run one with a gibson cat-back. second, I agree on the maf sensor cleaning.

Quick Reply: I Have a question about my intake and exhaust