PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Humming Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Default Humming Noise

Hey guys, so I've searched around here at the possibilities of this noise I'm experiencing, which is coming from the rear. I've come up with either unbalanced tires, uneven tread wear, bad wheel bearing, or worse case, a bad rear diff. At first I wrote it off as road noise due to the A/T tires, but after I noticed that the sound remained unchanged on different road surfaces, I began to wonder. I decided that instead of describing the sound to you, I would record it, so I have that posted up as well.

The truck is an '08 3.7L, 79k miles on it with torsion lift, just got the tires rotated and had the alignment done. However I'll be honest, I did put about 200 miles on the truck before I could get the alignment done (had to get to work), due to a bad bushing that had to be replaced. This makes me think that when I got the wheels rotated, that any uneven wear that occurred during that time may be making this noise now in the rear of the vehicle. I haven't yet gotten the truck up to check for any play in the rear wheel, but plan on doing that today.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

(This was driving at around 45-50mph today)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...CB883201%21794

Last edited by odwah; 10-09-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Having the rears load force balanced Wil tell you if it's the tires.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by odwah
Hey guys, so I've searched around here at the possibilities of this noise I'm experiencing, which is coming from the rear. I've come up with either unbalanced tires, uneven tread wear, bad wheel bearing, or worse case, a bad rear diff. At first I wrote it off as road noise due to the A/T tires, but after I noticed that the sound remained unchanged on different road surfaces, I began to wonder. I decided that instead of describing the sound to you, I would record it, so I have that posted up as well.

The truck is an '08 3.7L, 79k miles on it with torsion lift, just got the tires rotated and had the alignment done. However I'll be honest, I did put about 200 miles on the truck before I could get the alignment done (had to get to work), due to a bad bushing that had to be replaced. This makes me think that when I got the wheels rotated, that any uneven wear that occurred during that time may be making this noise now in the rear of the vehicle. I haven't yet gotten the truck up to check for any play in the rear wheel, but plan on doing that today.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

(This was driving at around 45-50mph today)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...CB883201%21794
too easy Its a Hummer!