PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer rollover

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Default Hummer rollover

Okay so heres the scenario, I was driving down the highay and watching the sights go by, I was looking at the woods and which spots looked cool for offroading (OH- I should tell you now that this story doesnt invole any real car wrecks) and I looked at the steep hills on the sides of the road. I thought damn that would be a fun challenge to ascend with an h1, then I thought that they had to be way more than a 60% grade and I got thinking. what if someone attempted this and ended up tipping and rolling down the hill. Sinse the H1 is built like, well, military machinery, it is extremely strong and ridged and with the roll cage, general construction of the H1 etc. I think it would survive a big fAll with minimal damage and maybe even be able to drive away at the expense of a few windows and mirrors.

Does it sound plausible that an H1 would easily survive a rollover? has anyone heard of a hummer rolling over?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hummer rollover

Yes. I haven't actually seen it myself but a guy I know in THCI rolled his on a trail one day. He had a wagon and it slightly bent the top out of square. It was driven away but the repair, to fix it right, was about 25K.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM

To tell you the truth I would not dare try it because even though its military its not meant to be rolled over

Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM

I really dont know. Only one real way to find out!!! Try it and let us know how it turns out!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 PM

What a great idea just try it and see what happens......

Old 01-21-2008, 01:06 PM

thats not an actual hummer owner, hes 14 i think he just loves hummer and love reading about them so he comes here,

Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM

u got it! (15)
hope that doesnt bother you

Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 PM

No its a good thing you come on here cause when your able to get one of your own youll know everything about it, and I was just explaining why you trying out the idea and telling them how it went wouldnt work lol

Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 PM

Depends on what you mean by "survive"

Damage is certain. Safety of occupants is concern #1.
The roll cage structure on an H1 is not meant to act as a true rollcage.
I have seen the damage after rollover on a few Hummers and talked to some drivers who have rolled H1's first hand - the windshield A-pillar typically sustains damage and partially collapses, since the roll bars basically terminate at that point and the windshielf frame is the only thing holding thing at that point. In the interest of protecting driver and passengers, I had a reinforced cage fabricated to improve strength in that area of the roll cage on my open-top, as well as adding spreaders between the A, B and C pillar areas.

For some pictures of my cage, you can check it out here:
http://www.serious4x4.com/cage.html

To do a full cage with true frame tie-ins, etc would be a more substantial project, and would be a lot of work and expense - the modifications I made are not meant to replace a full cage, but they give me a little more peace of mind when attempting especially gnarly stuff. If I roll, I fully expect the truck to sustain significant damage, but I think the passenger area will remain intact with relatively little incursion.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 PM

are you planning on getting a hummer?

Quick Reply: Hummer rollover