PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer brakes when turning at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Default Hummer brakes when turning at slow speeds

Ok my Hummer is crazy.. I have 28,000 miles on this 2006 H3. All of a sudden the car decides to brake by itself when you turn left or right at slow speeds. I dont notice it so much at fast speeds but it is definetly happing at slow speeds. No messages on the dash.. No check engine light. I even put it in neutral and rolled it backwards down a hill and turned the wheels sharp and sure enough the car came to a dead stop. I am 4 months out of my warranty. I have cycled the 4wd 50 times to clean contacts. I have disabled the trac control. Still no change. The only thing that worked was I disconnected the battery and unplugged the cpu in the fuse box along with the transfer case accuator. The problem went away for one day. Came back the next and I tried to repeat the process but it wont work again. Does anyone know what the heck is going on here. Any suggestions. Ill try anything except for the drive it off the cliff theroy Thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM

is your 4 wheel drive in dash option okay?

If yes then go to 2 auto shop inquire and compare findings.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

Sounds like you aren't used to the all wheel drive driving-characteristics of the HUMMER. When you are at full-lock, it can feel like the brakes are on due to the front differential.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned
Default full lock??

first, this is not a normal all wheel drive characteristic!

the only way to get into "full lock" is to have locking diffs,AND be in lo lock + rear and front lock mode. you cant lock diffs in hi mode

you would know because the engine would be at about 4000 rpm to go at all. turning while on dry pavement would bind up the diffs and might cause this but you otta know if youre in lo lock!!

if u r u will soon have other troubles, busted tranny,transfer case,,,drive chain. all has been discussed here b4.

then again it could be a new whacky brake malfunction???

tom

Last edited by drtom; 10-07-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM

First make sure your Hi Lock is not engaged. The buttons can get accidently pressed but if you have cycled through several times that is not likely the case. Also they can drag on the bezel and stick. If either of these are not the problem it could be the plastic fork in the transfer case or the actuator motor that switches it. I am on my 3rd H3 and none of them ever hinted at a hop at full turn when in 4 HI. I suggest doing a search on the forum to see other cases similar to yours. It does appear that it is stuck in HI Lock for some reason. Good luck in finding the problem.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 10-07-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM

Ok well Im not in 4 Hi. The buttons for the 4wd all work.. You can hear the the auctuator switch when you ask it too. I had to take it in to GM. The Brake Electric guy said the problem is in the Transfer case not an electric or brake problem. Tranny guy tells service to tell me we need to take out and break down the transfer case. Can you guys see the money falling out of my wallet. Service guy says he thinks its a broken fork. Since I never used the car for 4wd low I dont know the charicteristic of it being there. Can I be sure that its not a problem with the transfer case module, instead. Anyone ever break one of these Transfer cases down. I have rebuilt motors before. I just cant see giving these guys 2k for this.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned
Default just tried it

my adventure book says i can only engage front/rear diffs in lo lock
i did that and on dry grass it binds up and stops
when i drive,it chews the grass

if you DO NOT have locking diffs then the tr case must be locked,,,fork??
i never saw this without lock diffs but could be since the system has to bind up if the wheels cant slip in a lock mode

tom
ps,,a big job but svc manual shows how,,its time,,or money

pss the day i got my new h3 i added my famous red flashing lock mode led!!

im getting pics ready to show this very simple mod

Last edited by drtom; 10-07-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Does sound like the plastic fork failure. There are numerous posts on that subject in this forum. It has nothing to do with locking differentials. The fork has failed on those with and without locking differentials. Do a search and you will find pictures and comments from those who have had the dealer or garage do the fix and some that have done it on their own. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned
Default back to basics!

yeah,,we heard this b4 but not this symptom!
its been tire chirp,jump,etc,fooled me

so, same old bad news,get dirty or pay someone else to

tom

Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

I have this happen as well...but I know what the cause of mine is. Its my 35's on stock wheels hitting the sway bar!

Quick Reply: Hummer brakes when turning at slow speeds