PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer Body Sheilding

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Default Hummer Body Sheilding

Check it out. I have been thinking of getting the magnetic body shields but the Dealer wants like $500 for the set and they do not even cover the whole truck.

For those of you that are confused they are magnets that are cut the the size fo the metal body parts on your Hummer to keep you from getting custom pinstriping while on the trail.

So here is an option that I found. I think this is how I am going to proceed!!!

http://www.magnetsupplier.com/produc...oducts_id=1506

Has anyone else done this?

Eric

Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hummer Body Sheilding

That's pretty cool, but $500 is a little steep for plastic magnets, plus, do you REALLY go off-roading enough to justify the money, and the pain of cutting them and also sticking them on every single time you go off-roading? A Hummer is not a Hummer without war marks

Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: HumminNBoatin

Check it out. I have been thinking of getting the magnetic body shields but the Dealer wants like $500 for the set and they do not even cover the whole truck.

For those of you that are confused they are magnets that are cut the the size fo the metal body parts on your Hummer to keep you from getting custom pinstriping while on the trail.

So here is an option that I found. I think this is how I am going to proceed!!!

http://www.magnetsupplier.com/produc...oducts_id=1506

Has anyone else done this?

Eric
I've heard they work pretty good. Most made paper templates first, transfered the pattern over to
the magnetic sheets, then cut 'em out. It seems like the trick was finding a tape strong enough to hold
the seams and edges, without leaving a bunch of gooey residue.

At $150 bucks for a 50 ft roll, it would be worth experimenting...Could you make two sets from that amount?

Didn't someone on here have a set they made up and glued camo cloth or vinylto....?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:26 PM

trail pinstripes add character.

and blue painter's tape works surprisingly well at holding down the edges, and doesn't leave a residue on the paint.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

Glen has made them for both his Hummers and I've seen them first hand. He bought the roll of magnet sheeting and after cutting them to fit the trucks he glued on a heavy duty canvas fabric to it, he is on this board so any questions just ask him. Also you can buy them for only $300 from http://www.magnashields.com/.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

I have made them for all of my trucks H2 and 2 H3's the latest set being for my new Alpha. Buy a 30 mil, 40 inch wide by50 ft roll from magnetsource.com. Use some wide paper to make a template then layout on magnetic sheeting and cut. The sheeting will cut with a sharp pair of sissors. DO NOT buy anything less than a 30 mil sheeting. The 40 inch wide stuff comes in only white so I have covered mine with camouflage cloth. All you need to do is use some spray fabric glue and spray both the magnetic sheet and cloth then put them together "carefully". Don't buy a heavy duty glue like Gorilla fabric glue just the stock fabric glue works best. Sheeting, cloth, paper and glue for about $275. They will definately last longer than anything you can buy premade and yours will be custom. I have seen 2 sets of premade shields and both were tearing and shreeding after a couple of times off road. My H2 set has been off road probably 10 times and the W.Va mountain trails we ran at the Country Roads Hummer Club event was a true test. Most of the trucks at that event had many scratches that no one would buff out. My trucks did not have a scratch. I love off roading but I also love my trucks when I am not off roading and like them to look good. It is well worth the time to make your own set.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Actually, I forgot but the picture posted with my emails has my H2 with the magnetic skins. Look at the picture.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Trey124
Also you can buy them for only $300 from http://www.magnashields.com/.
Thats my H3 modeling for the shields

I love the shields, they really do save the paint.