PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HummBob: Your REAL Badlands, SD trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default HummBob: Your REAL Badlands, SD trip

Are you guys still going? If so, do you plan on doing anything as far as trails are concerned, or are you just going to enjoy the area? We want to take another road trip this summer, and depending upon how my next 2 off-road experiences go in the next month or so, I'm wondering if you are going to put the factory wheels back on for your trip and try some new things I definitely would not drive all those miles with those wheels you have. First off, you won't have any tread left! Second, take it from someone that drove there last year: You DON'T want to have those tires around there lol. There is alot of debree on the road from the mountains and trees. Just my two cents.

The reason I ask is because if you think you'll be hitting any kind of trails or take your rig into the REAL Badlands area, I may just join you for a day or so. We also want to go back to Wall Drug. My wife started doing the research of the history of the place and now wants to go exploring. I told her I'll take you there only if we hit Sturgis too.

Anyway, I remember you saying end of June/early July. Let me know if you are still going. Maybe we can get a few others to meet us up and pull our Bling-asses out of the mud pits lol.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Default RE: HummBob: Your REAL Badlands, SD trip

Hey Mike,

Not sure of the "PLANS" yet as things have changed with my mother-in-law passing away last weekShe was going to baby sit our Chihuahua's, but we'll probably have to take them with us!!![:@]

We're still planning to go. Here's the "short version" of the story:

My wife and I got guardianship custody of our 14 year old nephew last October. His mom is a ***** who jumped from guy to guy, and home to home dragging Jordan with her causing him to miss almost a year and a half of school. My brother-in-law (Jordan's dad) wasn't financially sturdy enoughto take him from his ex-wife, so we intervened, got full guardianship and moved him to Winnipeg.Then in December,my brother-in-law moved here from Calgary to be with his son(they ALL live in MY HOUSE[8D]).We got him(Jordan) enrolled in November, and he's now caught up to WHERE HE SHOULD'VE BEEN(Thank Goodness).

Anyhoo, he's going back to Calgary to VISIT his mom SOMETIME in the summer(she's looking for seat sales), so we have to organize OUR trip(he really wants to come with) after we hear when he's going to Calgary.

We're planning to rent a MOTORHOME for the trip(better for the dogs), leaving the Princess at home. Though my wife, Shannon, WON'T sleep in the motorhome as her idea of roughing it is "NO MINT ON THE PILLOW AT THE HOTEL", but us boys are gonna stay in it!!! It'll be FUN!!!

So if we do get to meet up, I'll pull you out of any rough spots with the motorhome!!!

I'll keep you UPDATED as more info rolls in!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

You're a good man Bob! At least you have your priorities straight.

Maybe we can still meet up. I'm sure there is a Hummer rental available somewhere around there. The idea that there would not be would surprise me. We aren't sure either. We are cancelling our vacation to Vegas for now because we just have too much going on, but hopefully will replace that with a trip to the Badlands. I would love to get some of us in our group to go there, but I know alot of people don't like taking road trips and just staying local. It's not THAT long of a drive for us, but for Nick and Jeremy I think it would be a hike. We'll have to see. I don't want to intrude on your vacation, but I am very envious of your RV rental [&:] My wife wants to do that really bad.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM

I don't think it would make much difference to us Mike, we're only 4-5 hours away from you which is easily covered. Unfortunately you can pretty much count me out on anything likethis from the get go. Between celebrating (?? LOL) 10 years of marriage in July, my 30th in August where family from over seas are showing up .. I'm pretty much tapped on vacation time as far as this year goes Weekend trips on the other hand though .. I'm definitely in for those!!! :-)

Old 03-27-2007, 01:08 PM

i haven't been to Sturgis since before i got my bike, it would be nice to go back. i'd even let Nancy drive the bus over a curb or something, to get that fear of snapping something out of his system. If you guys firm up some times, let me know, we may be inclined to head east for a trip.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Shorty, head on down to Black Mountains with us doode! I'm guessing you may end up enjoying the wheelin' there :-)

Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM

that's a bit of a haul from CA just to go wheelin'. we haven't been to SD since 1999, so it would be nice to go back, lots of cool stuff to see.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I know but it was worth a shot ... :-) I know I wouldn't make that drive unless I had WEEKS to spend doing it, stopping wherever and wheelin' wherever.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 PM

we did SD over memorial day weekend, a 5 day trip. i drove nonstop there and back. i'm a bit older now and would most likely be bringing the camper. all that, and a baby would require me at least a week's vacation to make the trip.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Can't blame you, I would too and no baby in the pic here .. I was aiming for 2 weeks if we actually got to go out to Moab but don't think that will happen this year :/

Quick Reply: HummBob: Your REAL Badlands, SD trip