PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible gas mileage any reason?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Horrible gas mileage any reason?

Well, it took me a while to figure out why it varied so much, but I THINK I figured it out.

One of the promises of the PCM tune is more acceleration for passing, etc. I have a feeling at the higher speeds/rpms the engine takes more gasto feed itself at a higher gas to air ratio. Basically, when going under 65 (which seems to be the breaking point) I would estimate I am getting 1 to 3 MPG more then I did before the tune. I do have a 5-speed but when measuring the MPGs I tried to keep everything constant, like shifting at the same RPMs, driving the same speeds on the highway, etc. Whenever I drive over 65-70 Mph, the mileage seems to start taking a bigger hit, more so then it did without the PCM tune. I'm not sure if that's because of the PCM or just normal wear and tear of the engine. Most likely it's the point where what little aerodynamics the H3 has just goes to hell and you start feeling like you are pushing an invisible wall of air (which technically, I guess you are!) I will say it did take about 1k to 2k for me to notice the extra torque, although again, it's not as noticable on a 5-speed as it is on an Automatic. Overall, you'll get better mileage with the PCM tune, but it's not going to be anything dramatic. Over time though, you will definitely save some bucks, just not an astronomical amount. It all depends on your driving environment and habits. The extra power is awsome though. The more you drive it, the more it will increase, until the point where you say to yourself "Wow, this thing is really quick now." I would advise getting some sort of new air intake before doing the PCM upgrade, either a simple K&N replacement filter as I have, or one of the cold air intake systems. They are fairly easy to install, even for someone that isn't very knowledgeable about working on cars, but will give the PCM tune that extra kick it needs.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM

You forgot to mention the Magnets..

Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

You know, between the magnets and my dented roof, you guys just CAN'T give me a break can you

Just wait until I paint my brake lights red, THEN we'll see who's laughing..................

Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: novasaigo

I just went from Georgia to Louisiana and backdoing 95mph most of the way and got around 20mpg.
Somehow I doubt that! Why don't you educate me on how you calculated your fuel mileage. The best MPGs I've gotten since owning my H3 is 16.8 and that's doing around 65-70 mph all freeway driving.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 PM

Damn Dawg...Ain't you gelin?

Here is a little pit fall that hopeful drivers do to themselfs...

You fill up at the gas pump..and you squeeze every last drop you can in until it is tip-top full, right up to the cap....Then you drive around for a week and fill up again, but this time you fill it up until the noozle kicks off and you hook it back up...You used less gas on thethis fill compared to the last fill (Miles driven divided by the gallons used to fill, asuming you used your trip odo)which you topped off tip-top full...I did this once and I was averaging 22 MPG[sm=happy046.gif]

And yes, you too Dawg can be edumacated, if you would only stay at a Holiday Inn Express once in a while

Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM

That wouldn't be accurate. If you fill it up to the cap and reset your trip odometer and then you fill it up a second time until the nozzle cuts off then you are putting less gas in the second time. When you divide the number of miles you got off of the full tank by the number of gallons you filled up with the second time when the nozzle klicked off then of course your going to get better mpgs because it's not an accurate count. In order for it to be accurate you would have to fill it up to the very top the second time and then use the number of gallons you put into the tank divided intothe total miles driven.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 PM

By george I think you've got it!

And that's what people are doing to fool themselves into thinking they are getting this great mileage.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I put the beer down and realized your point. I just think it's funny that people claim they get 20 mpg or more when the newEPA estimates rate the H3 at 14 city and 18 highway. I find it especially funny that someone would claim to be doing 95 mph and get 20 mpg and actually expect people to believe that nonsense. I think somebody needs a new calculater.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Any luck on the house hunting?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 PM

I am glad that you brought this up. I have had my H3 for about 2 weeks and I am sort of in shock. I was driving an SUV before that got about 18mpg so I was thinking that I would not be too far off from that number. I drive mostly city, but some highway to and from work. The gas is flying out of the tank and I feel like I am loosing half a tank just going to the store....ha,ha....I have filled up twice and I bought it with a full tank so I am getting a little scared. I normally fill up once a week (with a smaller tank). I am hoping for the same thing as you.....just need to get itbroken in!

BTW.....to all....Thank you for sending me to Clarence at G-Style. I ordered the roof rack and the tire cover and he was so friendly and helpful!! Not to mention good prices!

Quick Reply: Horrible gas mileage any reason?