PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn sounds like it has a sock stuffed in it

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Default Horn sounds like it has a sock stuffed in it

I know our horns are already puny but mine now sounds muted.... You can barely hear it 6 inches away... Hopefully the jerk that I tried honking at saw my one finger salute! Anyone else had this problem? I briefly took a look but didn't feel like messing it it too much, especially since it should still be covered under warranty - but it almost looks like a lucky rock or something might have hit the horn as the housing looks pierced. Still not sure why that would stuff a sock in it though.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Happened to mine brought to the dealer and they change the horn for free.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:47 PM

I went for the Wolo 225 T I found the best price at Auto Barn
Wolo Chrome Horns Set - WOL225-2T
It has a good tone and not that higher pitched european squealer sound. I already know the life expectancy of any motorized horn off road and did not want long trumpets blocking air.
These are loud 112 db and chrome (but not for long)
I put one in the stock location and used two of the thin brackets they send sandwiched together on the other side of the hood latch. I just clipped that fancy connector and hard wired from one the the other and used a double slide on connector to attach the second one. They don't come with a relay but they are the conventional style horn and I don't thing amp draw is a problem. Hard part was I could not remove my grill because of the winch and brush guard. I did unbolt it and could raise it up enough to get the horns in. They will not go thru the grill slots. I failed on pictures. Not much to see.
On to the next mod.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

The popular replacement (for Doc Olds and others) is the 60's Caddy horns... they can be found...

Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 PM

I have replaced every one of our wimpy H3/H3T horns since our first one in 2008. I used 1 FIAM Freeway Blaster - Low Note and 1 FIAM Freeway Blaster - High Note on all of them. I use the stock horn wire adn they have a great LOUD note to them. They don't sound as kool as Docs tripple Eldorado horns but I don't have the third trumpet horn......yet!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

The 4 horn Caddy set is much easier to find....

CADILLAC FLEETWOOD DEVILLE ELDORADO 4-NOTE HORN SET | eBay

Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

I bet Peggy will have a solution....

maybe you can give her your name and VIN....

Last edited by Muddydawg75; 07-07-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by hearseman
I know our horns are already puny but mine now sounds muted.... You can barely hear it 6 inches away... Hopefully the jerk that I tried honking at saw my one finger salute! Anyone else had this problem? I briefly took a look but didn't feel like messing it it too much, especially since it should still be covered under warranty - but it almost looks like a lucky rock or something might have hit the horn as the housing looks pierced. Still not sure why that would stuff a sock in it though.
I would also recommend contacting your local dealership for more assistance. They should be able to assist you further. I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Please feel free to keep me posted either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Jumping Jeebus.........

I thought these people had finally gone away since no one was paying them any attention....

Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM

WOW that 4 horn set looks AWESOME!!!! Would you need to run relays in order to prevent current draw??? Good to know im not the only one who thought GM chinced on the H3 horn! lol They could have at least given us two horns, my goodness!

Quick Reply: Horn sounds like it has a sock stuffed in it