PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID foglight install problem with pic

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Default HID foglight install problem with pic

Hopefully this pic helps a little. I plugged the harness leading from the truck into the ballast plug which is at the top of the ballast (can't really see that part in the pic). Then I plugged the red and black wires leading from the ballast into the matching plugs coming from the bulb (those are pointing at each other in the middle of the pic). The wires I haven't connected are the black and red ones in the lower right at about 4 and 5 o'clock and the plug at the bottom at 6 o'clock. When I tugged on them I saw that they are the same wire which confused me even more. Hopefully this looks like what you had and you have the answer since I'm stuck. I don't want to randomly guess at different connections since I don't want to blow anything out. Thanks again for the help!

This is the first pic I've attached so if it comes out bad, I'll try again.

Attached Thumbnails HID foglight install problem with pic-100_1174.jpg  
Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM

those look like they go to an H3 bulb. since you're using an H10 you won't need it

Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Red face

Well I got similar HID headlights in yesterday (which had the same extra wires that I can't figure out) and took everything to a shop to install them before I shorted everything out myself and they didn't have any luck either. I got instructions from the guy I bought them from but it looks like they were translated into broken English from another language so they were no help. He's thinking the bare wires must plug into the harness from the truck, but doesn't want to just try it without knowing for sure. So basically I'm back to square one and hoping someone has this same setup and has installed it themselves and can give me some help.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM

Hey, I had this same setup when I had HID Fog lights on my H3. This is how I got it to work, my friend..

The 4 wires you have at the top of the picture that are pointing each other clip in to fit each other, While that longer wire towards the bottom plugs into the OEM Bulb socket.

The two top wires are for the ballast, and the bottom one simply plugs into your OEM socket because without that, you wouldn't be able to tell your fogs when to turn on or off.

I never used those last two wires (Black and Red with Metal tips). You should probably cover them with something, like electrical tape or you can go to a local store and pick up a crimping kit and just crimp a top to both of them so they don't touch and accidently cause an issue.

It should work out just fine. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the response, but you lost me a little. The 4 wires I have pointing at each other get clipped together and are already connected to the ballast so I'm good with that. The new bulb already has wire running to it, it's at about 2 o'clock in the picture it just has a plastic protector over it. The plug at the bottom that you said should go into the OEM socket is a male connector which is the same as the OEM socket coming from the truck so they won't connect. There is a female plug at the top of the ballast that I thought the male connector on the harness from the truck plugs into. So does something else plug into the ballast? If not, I still don't know where the harness from the truck plugs into. I'm not sure if this makes any sense so if I'm still missing something, just let me know. Thanks again!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 PM

Do you have a relay kit?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 PM

No, it just came with what's in the picture. Since it's finally going to stop raining here tomorrow, I'm going to tinker around with it some more to see if I can figure it out.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM

You need to get a relay kit.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 PM

The black and red wire harness with the connector on one end and bare on the other end is not required for the fog light installation. You take the stock fog light harness off and plug it into the ballast. You then plug the wires coming out of the ballast into the wires on the new HID bulb. That is it. That is what I did with mine and they work perfectly...

The "extra" wire could be used if you were not going to use the stock fog lamp wire harness. You would plug this "extra" harness into the ballast and then connect the bare ends to a 12volt source through a switch and to ground....

The "kit" includes the "extra" harness... that is all....

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM

That's what I thought but when I tried it, it didn't work. I contacted the seller and they said they two bare wires connect to the wiring harness coming from the truck, and the connector at 6 o'clock connects to the ballast. I tried it today and it worked! So the fogs are done. When I tried the headlights, there are now 3 wires in the kit to hardwire to the connector coming from the wiring harness. Since I'm having trouble reaching the connector to do anything, I'm going to take it to someone to let them deal with it. It drives me crazy when there is no slack in the wires I'm working on. Thanks for all the help!