PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi All, nice to be here! H2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Default Hi All, nice to be here! H2 Question

Nice to see the forum here for Hummer folks. I have a 2004 H2 and installed LED tail lights on it about a year ago. I noticed recently that my cruise control no longer functions. I had my dealer check it out and after several days in the shop I was told the reason the cruise control no longer works is because it's intergraded with the brake light system and with the LED lights there is no longer enough voltage draw on the system that causes the cruise control to believe it should not be working. While this sounds like a reasonable explanation I'm curious if anyone else has had this same problem? I was told that perhaps by adding a lighted trailer hitch cover with a regular light bulb it may produce enough voltage draw to cause the cruise control system to function.

Anyhow, if anyone would be willing to share any info if they've had a similar experience would be greatly appreciate. Thanks so much for your help and great to be here!

Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Default RE: Hi All, nice to be here! H2 Question

does the cruise control come on, but not shut off when you hit the brakes? or does it not come on at all? i can understand how it wouldn't deactivate when you hit the brakes, but it should come on. not that i'd want to use it that way though. i haven't changed the bulbs on mine, so i don't really have any help for you, but i'm interested to see how this turns out.

btw, could you have made your picture any smaller? my 37" tires kept me from clearing the ground, so not quite as impressive as your air shot (i think, hard to see that small)

Old 01-13-2006, 04:20 PM

No, the control does not come on at all. It’s completely inoperative. I don’t really use the cruise control that much so didn't realize it didn't work until just recently so can't say when it stopped working al together. My next step is to take the advice of the dealer and get a trailer hitch cover with a regular bulb in it and see it that gets the cruise control to work. If that doesn't do it then the next step is to reinstall the old tail lights and see if it works then. If that still doesn't work then I suppose it's back to the dealer for more troubleshooting.

hehehe... Actually I didn’t know how big of a photo I could upload so used the little one. Here, maybe this is better... The photos on the windows are of my cats. I use them to promote my web site for a book I wrote. I donate all the proceeds to animal related charity groups.

[IMG]local://upfiles/247/C408A4A75CE448FFBD03E9E4009C44EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2006, 04:27 PM

i like the color. you can post up to a 500kb size pic, as long as you don't upset the admins and have them take that option away from you for a while.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM

I thought they only made one color of yellow for the hummer
What are the years of both of them
05 the put the tire on the back
They are two nice looking trucks

Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the complements! Mine is a 04. I think it's just the lighting and the cameras used that is causing the two yellows to look different. I believe the color of yellow is called Competition Yellow.

While mine was in the shop having the cruise control checked out I was loaned a new 06 H2. I immediately noticed the ride was a little smoother. In addition I could tell the engine setting were a little different because it seemed to have an edge over mine on acceleration from start off as well as shifting. Little subtle things were apparent after driving it for a few days. I asked the dealer about it and he said in fact they have made some changes to the computer setting on the engine and transmission.

I’m curious now if anyone has used one of he hand held ECU’s that allow you to make changes to the computer setting for the engine and transmissions. Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

[IMG]local://upfiles/247/CC11E31A00194C2C90B4475A9CA2D49F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 PM

I've answered my own question about the cruise control mystery. I put on a lighted trailer hitch cover with a regular light bulb in it and it did if fact enable the cruise control and it begin working again.

I changed my tail lights to plug and play LED tail lights last year. The dealer told me after working the issue for several days they contacted Hummer who told them the probable cause with the low voltage draw of the LED lights causing the system to disengage the cruise control. I also had an LED trailer hitch cover connected at the same time. The dealer’s suggestion was to try a regular bulb trailer hitch cover and see if that would cure the problem. If not then replace the LED tail lights with the original bulb tail lights.

The new trailer hitch was only about $10 bucks and the local WalMart and fixed the problem. I was happy that it did work with such a simple fix. Hope this helps others that may experience the same problem under similar conditions.

[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 03-19-2006, 07:55 PM

hey, your name... AKRANGER... are you from AK?

[IMG]local://upfiles/436/9E86838C74ED45D999333F1D444F3216.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2011, 02:23 AM

I am having this problem. I changed my tail lights to led and now my cruise control doesn't work. Is there another way to fix besides trailer hitch cover. Or can you send me a pic of the hitch cover you bought.