PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help!!! - Rear locking Axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Default Help!!! - Rear locking Axle

I just purchased a 2006 H3. It has the rear axle lock and stabilitrack buttons on the right side of the 4X4 control buttons. When starting all of the lights on the control module will light during the test and turn off. The 4H and 4L works perfect. However, when I lock in 4L and try the rear axle lock nothing happens. No flashing light, nothing. I have tryed neutral, moving and everything else possible. Has anyone else seen this problem?

In trying to determine the issue, I started looking for the wiring harness connected to the rear locking diff. I can not find one. Can anyone post a picture or description of where the wiring connects to the rear diff for the Elocker.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM

The wires go into the rear diff right above the axle tube, in the diff pumpkin, on the drivers side. Should be two short wires with a plug on them, and a harness coming from the drivers side that plugs into it.

Could be that the rear axle has been replaced (with a non locker set up one)or the 4wd control in the dash was replaced with the wrong one?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by 4DIGR
Could be that the rear axle has been replaced (with a non locker set up one)or the 4wd control in the dash was replaced with the wrong one?
+1

Did you buy the truck from a GM dealer? If so, have them run the VIN to see if that particular model had the adventure package. If it did, and you can't see wires coming from the diff., then 4DIGR could be correct in speculating that the rear axle had been changed at some point.
If it didn't have the adv. package to begin with then changing the button plate under the vents with one from an adv. package will have the locker button non-operable. You can always pop that plastic bezel panel that surrounds the radio/HVAC with the vents to see if the locker button is actually hooked up. That pops right out with a simple prybar. I would not recommend using a flathead screwdriver as that will leave noticable gouges.
If it turns out that both of those theories are incorrect, then perhaps an electrical gremlin exists somewhere or a problem with the ECU.
Keep us updated when you find out the cause.
Lots of luck

Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

In re-reading my post above I just didn't want to be taken the wrong way when I said lots of luck. I wasn't being sarcastic, I truly hope you find out what went awry and get your truck working the way it should.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM

4DIGR and JCA1981

Guys,

Thank you very much for the information you provided. It is exactly what I was looking for and expected.

My guess is that the module for the 4x4 control buttons has been replaced with one from an adventure package.

The interesting thing about this is the fact I checked everything out on the H3 before purchasing. During my checks I noted that the rear lock button was not functioning. Of course, it was late at night and I was assured that if it doesn't work the dealership will correct it at no cost. I actually required them to document the problem and agreement on the sales contract that night.

I just dropped the H3 off at the dealer tonight for them to have the rear lock button checked and some other items they were still required to provide.

If in fact the 4x4 module was replaced, it will make for some interesting conversations in the near future. The dealer has an appointment at the local Hummer Dealer (no longer Hummer) to have the rear diff lock checked Thursday.

So far, they have been great to work with. I just can't wait for the explanation.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM

If it were me, I would push the issue BIG TIME, and insist they either add a rear locking diff, or refund the cash value of a diff. This H3 was sold to you under false pretenses, and I would stress that!