PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP WITH REAR LED MARKER LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Default HELP WITH REAR LED MARKER LIGHTS

HEY GUYS LOOKING FOR SOME HELP GONA INSTALL SOME READ RED LED MARKER LIGHTS AND WAS WONDERING WHERE TO TAP INTO POWER.I DONT HAVE A TRAILER HITCH SO CANT GO THERE WAS THINKING OF TAPING INTO THE TAIL LIGHTS BUT I DONT NO WHICH WIRE IS THE POWER.I HAVE PULLED THE TAIL LIGHTS OUT BE4 FOR A BULB EXCHANGE AND I THINK I HAVE SEEN 3 WIRES. SO ANY HELP I CAN GET. I NO I HAVE TO DRILL IN TO MY H3 BUT HAVE DONE SO IN THE PAST.I INSTALLED MY ROOF LIGHT BAR.SO THE LIGHT HAS 2 WIRES ONE WHITE WITH A CIRCLE AT THE END WHICH I ASSUME IS GROUND AND THEN A BLACK/DARK BROWN WIRE WHICH IS THE LEAD WHERE DO I SEND THAT ONE . ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT PICS OR INSTRUCTIONS

[IMG]local://upfiles/4035/825B42003ECC4EEC998DA06E7D55E7AD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4035/17E468935ACD461FB95F42D41EFE4BBE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Default RE: HELP WITH REAR LED MARKER LIGHTS

Test the poliarty of the wires first. LED must be hooked correctly for them to work. Use your battery under the hood and touch the wires one way and then the other way. It should light up. This way you know which wire is the hot and ground. The ground goes to body and the other you can run down to your rear lights. Use the wire that is only the running/parking lights. You can test this out by turning on the light switch on click to the right (off auto) and use a tester to probe the wires behind the rear lights.

Sam

Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Wow, just by reading this I would hightly suggest going somewhere to have it professionally installed!! (THE LIGHT HAS 2 WIRES ONE WHITE WITH A CIRCLE AT THE END WHICH I ASSUME IS GROUND) NEVER ASSUME when it comes to electrical wiring! Next thing you know well see another Hummer totalled that had a bad electrical fire.

IF you plan on doing this yourself, I would first go out to Radio Shack or Sears or where ever and buy the following:
1) Either a good (not cheap) circiut wire tester or multi-meter.
2) Wire strippers
3) Crimpers
4) Assorted selection of electrical connectors.
5) Very important, Electrical tape. Always tape up your finished connections to protect & peserve your connections. I've seen some nasty connections and then it is finished with duct tape or masking tape or nothing at all and there are wire frays all over the place touching metal and may cause a short or worse.

Start by taking the rear tail lens out and putting on just your parking lamps, then test for that wire that is on. Once you found that wire, turn your lights off to make sure you have the right switched wire, you want it to turn on & off with your parking lamps.
Then find a good ground on the inner body of the truck, scrap the paint off and ground it with a fresh screw.

Oh and remember to put silicone or RTV sealant around every hole used outside on your new marker lights (screw holes & wire holes). This will prevent water damage, wire chaffing& rust from occuring from the fresh drilled holes.

I think your truck will look real good with the red rear marker lights on the back!!!
Good luck and show details pictures when your complete.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Looks like the prior post have got you covered. You'll love them once you get em done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/1AAA0931D92947789E5A2DC7D5B84940.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Bonzaiii, Those look real nice on there!! Nice job!