PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: re-calibration for 35's (ImportKiller)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Default HELP: re-calibration for 35's (ImportKiller)

Ok, so after getting great info from Importkiller, Chris and others I called Jordan Tire today to order Mickey Thompson MTZ's at a great price. When I spoke to 3 different dealerships in the area, two said that they did not have the ability to re-calibrate my speedo and odometer for tires larger than 33's. the other dealership said that there is nothing to be done and it isnt necessary...I would only need to do somehthing if I was changing rim size as it affects the brakes, etc. He said that the mileage difference from a 33" to a 35" is less than 1/2mph.

The 4x4 shopthat will mount them for me said it is absolutely necessarybut they dont have the equipment. Can someone tell mewhat's what here? I know a bunch of us have already moved to the 35's -- I just want to do it right. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Default RE: HELP: re-calibration for 35's (ImportKiller)

How much did you get the tires for from Jordan Tire ??
If you need to PM me the price , Thats cool too.
....Thanks , Shawn

Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 PM

the shop is full O' crap...it is not absolutely necessary!! Without it your speedo will be slightly off, I went from base 265's (32) to 35's and i am off 5 mph only. The trans still shifts where it should and that is the main problem with going bigger. If you had a regualr suv/jeep/pickup with little donut tires on it and lifted it and went to 35's then your shift points will be screwed up slightly, but going from 33's to 35's is not that big of a jump as to mess up your shifting. The only benefit to reprogramming your PCM to the bigger tires is to keep your speedo accurate, but once you know how much your off it's pretty simple to know what speed you are realy doing. Plus by keeping your speedo set to the 33's and by running 35's you will in turn extend your warrenty!!! If your speedo is off by 5 mph you odometer will also be reading slower than what it really should be reading so you will lengthen your warrenty!!! If you really want to have an accurate speedo you can send your pcm out to pcm for less or install a superlift recalibration unit for ifted vehicles. I have one on my dodge and it works great.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM

BTW I just called superlift and they do not have a tru-speed module for the h3 yet. SO a reprogram would be the only method if you can't live with the speedo bieng off 5 mph.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

the shop is full O' crap...it is not absolutely necessary!! Without it your speedo will be slightly off, I went from base 265's (32) to 35's and i am off 5 mph only. The trans still shifts where it should and that is the main problem with going bigger. If you had a regualr suv/jeep/pickup with little donut tires on it and lifted it and went to 35's then your shift points will be screwed up slightly, but going from 33's to 35's is not that big of a jump as to mess up your shifting. The only benefit to reprogramming your PCM to the bigger tires is to keep your speedo accurate, but once you know how much your off it's pretty simple to know what speed you are realy doing. Plus by keeping your speedo set to the 33's and by running 35's you will in turn extend your warrenty!!! If your speedo is off by 5 mph you odometer will also be reading slower than what it really should be reading so you will lengthen your warrenty!!! If you really want to have an accurate speedo you can send your pcm out to pcm for less or install a superlift recalibration unit for ifted vehicles. I have one on my dodge and it works great.
Well, thanks again for the info- you're turning into my own personal encyclopedia of 4x4 facts. I'd definitely add you to my "phone a friend" list. I mentioned to Trisha at Jordan Tire that you suggested that I call them and she was appreciative. I had to call her back a 2nd time to make sure that she didn't make a mistake on the quote that she gave me- it was incredible. Based on what you have told me and the fact that you have done it to your own rig, I'll be ordering them tomorrow and praying for them to arrive by Friday. Thanks again.

P.S- Shawn: I PM'd you the price that I was quoted only because I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post it here, but I can't imagine why they won't have the same price for all of us (varying slightly depending where they need to be shipped)

Old 04-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Check your speed with a GPS. you might find that your speedo is true with 35's. I have 33's and my speedo is fast. I asked the dealer and they said a few people have noticed that too.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM

...thanks for the idea. I did last night and at 70mph on the gps, the speedo reads 71.5 -72 so I'm not to concerned now.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 PM

my speedo is about 1-1.5 mph fast too i have 33s