PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy
Don't be mistaken though. The left-most light is 4Hi, while the one to the right of it is 4Hi-Locked. The left-most 4-Hi light should be lit all the time, unless you press the locked button, which should only be in off-road and icey or snow conditions.
Which is exactly what I did....... Thanks !

Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Default RE: Help - Problem with 4WD not unlocking

HummerGuy, I know this sounds silly as hell. But check your H3's MFG date and see what day of the week it was built. We have HONDA OF AMERICA here, the main plant and alot of people that work there will tell you to check the MFG date before buying one and if it was built on a Monday or a Friday/Saturday not to get it. Something to with not wanting to be back to work on Monday and wanting to get out of there for the weekend. Like I said, I know it sounds absurd but I've heard more than once from them. Apparently those are the ones to be prone to having problems because of their lack of attention.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Default 2006 H3 Hummer

We've had the same problem as well. When I went to the dealership, I explained to them that this is my wife's daily driver and hardly ever in 4WD high Lock.

They had to dismantle the transfer case/differential and told me that they will have to order all new parts and going to cost around 1400.00 I told them that was insane and that hummer should have recalled this. After "wheeling and dealing" with them about the 50k drive train warranty compared to later H3's they told me that they would meet me half way. So we ended up paying around 700.00.

Its a shame that GMC would do this.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned
Default 3 days a week

hilarious!!!! tue,wed thur they build a fantastically high quality,reliable and beautifully assembled vehicle, then turn out junk for a longer weekend,,,,WILD!!!
then they sabatoge the t case so women have trouble. even though the parts are shipped in for assembly, built elsewhere,,amazing!!!

then a gal probably ignored those funny noises, "sometime when i turn into the lot"......

i doubt that any or many t cases fail without driver error/abuse, and probably most on the road,not in the woods!!

weve heard a lot of stories about not being able to steer,,,h3 not moving in neutral with wheels turned,,,,it goes on.

gm should have put a locking cover over the buttons!!!

Last edited by drtom; 01-19-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM

I have a 2006 H3 that I bought brand new in June 05. It's just out of warranty with 57,500 miles. I had the same problem a few days ago. I could switch between high and low lock but it wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive open. I printed out a copy of the service bulletin on the shift fork and brought it with me. I brought the truck to Cadillac Village of Norwood in Norwood MA where I bought it. They looked at it and diagnosed it as the shift fork. They said the charge would be a $523.00 total for parts and labor. I asked the service manager if they could ask GM to help since it was a known problem and he made the call to GM. They said they would do a one time good will gesture and would cover everything but $100.00. There were professional and courteous and they did the job in one day. Can't ask for more than that.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jaylonp
We've had the same problem as well. When I went to the dealership, I explained to them that this is my wife's daily driver and hardly ever in 4WD high Lock.

They had to dismantle the transfer case/differential and told me that they will have to order all new parts and going to cost around 1400.00 I told them that was insane and that hummer should have recalled this. After "wheeling and dealing" with them about the 50k drive train warranty compared to later H3's they told me that they would meet me half way. So we ended up paying around 700.00.

Its a shame that GMC would do this.
Fellas, this thread is over 2 years old, you are posting to people who have been gone for a LONG time. Locked. Move along please and thank you.

BTW there are at least 3 different possibilities on why/how a 3 can get stuck in lock. This thread really only covers one, so it would be hard to say if you had the "same problem". One can be fixed in a few minutes if you know what you are doing, another can be fixed with an actuator (under $200.00) and in less than 30 minutes labor. The last requires the shift fork (which is a cheap part, and only requires partial disassembly).