PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Hummer H2 Rear bearing replace.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Default Help! Hummer H2 Rear bearing replace.

I do not know how to remove the shaft to acces the bearing of the rear axel on my Hummer H2 2007,can any one help me with schematics ?

Than you

Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 AM

You're not specific enough about which bearing for me to answer but maybe this will help. I have not pulled my H2 rear end apart but most GM rear ends are the same.

First you have to remove the diff cover, its 14 bolts, loosen bottom and have a drain pan handy, nothing nastier than gear lube on teh concrete or your hands.

Once you get there, there should be a bolt holding a pin in the ring gear assembly. It is a large machined pinned that is in the center of the ring gear assembly. Remove the pin.

Inside you will see a series of spider gears with the axle coming through on each side. The axles have a 'notch' cut in into the end to retain a C-clip. You will also have to remove the rear tires. Go to each axle and push them towards the ring gear, they will give about a 1/4 inch. Back into the ring gear assembly, the C-clips will be free or might have fallen out already but in any event remove C-clips then you can pull each axle out.

If the bearing you are referring to are the axle bearings, you will need a puller to remove. If its on the pinion, you will also have to remove the drive shaft and the yoke. The pinion gear will come out and again you need a puller to get the bearing off.

Pay Close attention to the shims on either side of the ring gear assembly, between it and the housing. Do not change them or mix them up. Same to be said for the shims between the pinion bearing and pinion. This is how the gear lash is set and if you get it wrong, your gears will not last long.

While you're in there, its a good time to replace U-joints and all seals.

Good luck

TH

Old 08-14-2015, 01:50 PM

Done that ,thank's the C/clip was a surprise for me .