PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header/manifold questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Default Header/manifold questions

Well I just noticed that one of the back manifold bolts is broke on my 2006 h3 with the 3.5. It only leaks on start ups for about 15 seconds. Im know this is a common problem but has anyone ever fixed it first hand? How hard is it too repair usually? It looks like there may be enough of the bolt left where I can weld a nut on the end of it and get it out. Also what is the best replacement once I have it off? Should I go with the factory part or something aftermarket?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM

After repairing the same thing 3 time I finally took off the manifold/ Cat completely, and the flanges were all warped where it mates to the block, had 3/16th of an inch on the worst one.
I got a replacement exhaust manifold/Cat under warrantee, all new bolts, gaskets and donut .
Service Mgr. is a friend and sent the new parts right to my house. I shipped back the bad one.
50,000 mi later still perfect.
Be sure to torque the manifold bolts in the proper pattern and to the proper torque, I think its 15 ft lbs, It sure seemed to low to me but that s what the repair manual says.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:59 PM

I bought some from the local hardware store that were better quality than OEM. try to weld on a nut if you think you can. that is the best way to get them out. otherwise you have to try to drill them out, and it is difficult with the bolts being steel and the head aluminum

Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM

I think I will go ahead and pull the manifold off when I fix it. What is the best bang for your buck when it comes to the header/manifold for these motors? The rest of the rig is stock for now but I plain hopefully do exhaust, intake and tune in the future.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 PM

I would go with a long tube header if you are ready to spend the money on a complete custom exhaust. I wish I would have went that way, but because I did not need a header until after I had installed a cat-back, I went with OTTP stock replacement manifold. The header is really well built, but I had some issues with their customer service. I believe they are now under new management.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM

No I think it is the same people. The one I just got I was talking to Josh. I did notice the email support was lacking, but I called them a few times to order as well as checking for when would be shipped as well as tracking info. Everytime Josh was great with me, and it only took two weeks I believe from theme I ordered until I received it.I call that good for coming all the way to Atlantic Canada.As well price matched my best found price of a new manifold with cat.
I have read a few posts regarding customer service, I just called so I didn't have to wait for a reply.
I dont have any idea whats better long or stock/short header. I read long is better for high rpm power and short is low end? I dont drive much above 2500-3000 most of the time. Unless I flatten it but haven't really done it much. The 30 HP advertised by some wouldn't help low end much I read? I think ottp has them too without having to custom fit or cut anything.
Either way I have been told header is a better option if you can go that route. GL

Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM

I called them, but it took twice as long as they said it would take. every time I called they gave me some excuse, but the product I recieved was excellent quality.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 AM

The one I got was excellent quality as well. Also I think their prices for stock and longtube are the cheapest I could find.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:09 PM

they were. mine actually cost the same as an OEM replacement manifold. I have had mine in for several years now, and I have not had any problems

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 PM

I decided I am going to go with just a factory replacement. Where is the cheapest place to get one? The cheapest I have found is a Dorman on rockauto for $260 shipped. Does anybody have any experience with a Dorman manifold? Can someone post a link to a cheaper or better option?

Last edited by H3ummer; 04-07-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Header/manifold questions