PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harsh Transmission Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by stinger95
No check engine, but did get a service 4 wheel drive message not to long ago. Thought it was the 4hi "lock" button that was stuck in for a couple minutes bucause the message went away and it went back to 4hi. Can I reset the TCM to default myself?
Now that I think about it, when the whole service 4wheel drive error came up it was the first snowfall here in Buffalo, NY. I took the truck out and for the first time since I bought it Ipulled it out of the driveway and put it in 4 wheel lock. The roads were snow covered and I thought I'd play around and see how she handled in the snow. Did a couple kick the *** end outs around my subdivision and noticed the service 4 wheel drive error. What I was doing should have caused the stability control to engage. Just some additional info. Don't know if it's relevant.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3Mog
The 4L60E is electronic shift controled by the trans control module. If you have towed something or another driver with a lead foot has been driving the vehicle it can change the trans shift adaptives which is how hard and when the TCM shifts the transmission through the gears.
Only the 2008s and up have a TCM, the 06 and 07s are controlled through the PCM.

IMHO firm shifts are less concerning than mushy soft ones, because a firm shift creates less slippage and less heat.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM

I have seen some strange transmission behavior from bad speed sensors dropping out but it sounds like your little snow trip might have over taxed the stability system. It's not smart enough to know what to do when the vehicle is going sideways in snow and all 4 tires are slipping, it gives up and says error. This will also change adaptives I would not be concerned unless your having serious symptoms and check engine lamp.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Just wanted to give an update. Took the truck to the dealer yesterday and was expecting the "nothing's wrong sir. That's just the way these trucks are." But to my surprise, they found that the throttle body shorted out and the throttle position sensor was giving erratic readings (no check engine light though). They replaced the throttle body under warrenty, and now it shifts perfect. This also solved the problem with it almost stalling when it's cold and comming to a stop. This truck runs great now!