PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Noob...Off-road light bar question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Default H3 Noob...Off-road light bar question

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum here. I have a question for the Hummerforum hive mind. I'm currently in the process of working out a deal for a base '09 H3. It's pretty sparse with the features. I was wondering if anyone out there installed a factory Off-road Light bar? Does the wiring exist in the roof or do you have to run the wires through the pillars? Also, is there a spot on the dash for a rocker switch for it? I like the look of the light bar and would to have one put on my future new H3. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Default RE: H3 Noob...Off-road light bar question

You do have to run the wires down the pillar but that is VERY easy as the black pillar covers just pull out. And there is a spot for the switch, I believe it's right behind the shifter.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 PM

just got a 09 h3 alpha 2 weeks ago, with the off-road light bar. price depends on the dealers, and it definitely adds a nice unique look to the h3. the switch for the light is "behind" the shifter. (right next to the rear windshield wiper controls.) i should mention though that the lights have a noticeable whistling sound when driving, (once u go over about 40 u dont hear it anymore), but if u have music on it covers up the noise. the lights are extremely bright, cant wait to get em in action off road!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of bummed out hearing about the whistling sound. Oh well. I'll be picking mine up on Saturday. The GM installers were at my dealership today installing the assist step and lightbar. My wife wasn't very happy when she found out how much the lightbar was with installation.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/DSC00392.jpg

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Didn't the new bars fix that sound?

Anyways..I also am thinking of getting them installed. I am not an electrical junkie by ANY means...that being said would you guys recommend I went to a dealer/install shop to have it done or are the instructions that good that I could do it? There is not drilling needed right?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 AM

I picked up my H3 yesterday and on the way home I did not notice any whistling what so ever. I would have the dealer install them. Less headaches andare covered under the 3 year warranty should anything go wrong.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM

Dealer installed mine. Instructions and everything you need is in the box.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM

I have not done any work to my own cars for over 20 years BECAUSE I am not gifted when It comes to working on stuff like that. But I did manage to install the lights myself with no real problems. The directions are very simple. The hardest part is taking a big gulp and running that drill into your roof, and let me tell you it's a few BIG holes. After the first 2 holes most of the shaking goes away. As for the noise problem it depends on If your light were manufactured before the fix. The pre fix lights and post fix lights have different part numbers so If you have the newer ones you should be O.K.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1329/C47F3B31A444436AB34DA71C716889E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM

Hi slim where are you from ? I live GR michigan did you go off roading yet

Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm in Central Connecticut. I haven't really been off road per say, but with all of the snow and ice the traction control has proven its effectiveness.

Quick Reply: H3 Noob...Off-road light bar question