PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Default H3 Help please!!!

I have read numerous threads on H3 problems but none seem to be exact to my problem. My wife was driving along about three weeks ago and hummer went into safe mode and flashed reduced power. After a couple minutes she was able to crank up and return home. She parked it until i could look at it. Problem was the sunroof was left cracked! I read one post from OLDS that mentioned that. The floorboard was full of water on the passsenger side. Now it will crank and run for about 2-3 secondes and die. Where do i need to start on the repair? It is still showing the reduced traction failure serv stab sys alarm. Please help!!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:38 AM

Your PCM could be wet

Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 AM

I think telemike means BCM (Body Control Module) fancy words for the computer that controls a number of operations. It is located behind the passenger side kick panel. If it is the BCM it will likely eventually dry out and start working again. Or it could be totally unrelated. Check to see if it is throwing any codes. Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have put my eyes on the bcm behind the kick panel and figured that was probably not supposed to get wet. I dont think that it was submerged in water but water dripped down the pillar to the floorboard. I guess i will start replacing different modules starting with the PCM. My code reader will not start to communicate with the one i have. I think that was my original problem when it died on her going down the road and then i have acquired the other prolems since it got wet.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Default jfwiw

from many reads here about water in this area I decided to add some plastic above the module as a preventative measure. I have the side panel off to get at a wire for a high beam project in the works so ill look at stopping water b4 I ever have a problem while its open.
i'm thinking a tight wrap around any cables coming to the bcm, and some cover over top would help.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bscathey701019
Thanks for the reply. I have put my eyes on the bcm behind the kick panel and figured that was probably not supposed to get wet. I dont think that it was submerged in water but water dripped down the pillar to the floorboard. I guess i will start replacing different modules starting with the PCM. My code reader will not start to communicate with the one i have. I think that was my original problem when it died on her going down the road and then i have acquired the other prolems since it got wet.
I know of a few people who got stuck in deep water holes and took on enough water to need a bilge pump, but that is the extreme scenario. Many people have had the leaky sunroof or plugged sunroof drains, or just left the sunroof open in rain, and get the BCM wet. It's like the cell phone dropped in water. You have to let it dry out thoroughly and hope it will work after a couple days. I have recommended to some who got the BCM wet, especially in colder months, to peel back some carpet, remove the kick panel, and run a small fan with some heat blowing at the area to try to dry it out. Sometimes you get lucky, other times not. If it was powered up and shorted because of being wet, then it may be toast.

Best of luck, please follow up with us when you nail down the problem.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have a ecm ordered from flashmaster. I guess i will start there. Any advice on installing it other than disconnect battery? I know i will need to do the security relearn. I did put a fan on the BCM in the kick panel in hopes it would dry out and start working again, but i cant get anything to worm without ECM im guessing??? Once again all input from others is appreciated!!!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

either one of them has to be programmed to the truck. expect to have the dealership do it, and spend a nice chunk of change to do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Well, I installed the ECM that i purchaced from Flash Master today. I done the pass lock relearn procedure and everything seems to work like a new one. I do have the crank shaft position sensor that has to be reset or relearned but h3 is begining to get back in shape. All the carpets and seats will be taken to a shop in town for restoration and cleaning and maybe i can get it together this week and get my truck back. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 AM

OH My. How much are they charging to do that?

Quick Reply: H3 Help please!!!